Windows 10 May 2019 Update (Version 1903) is just around the corner. It has already been released to MSDN customers. Hopefully, it will be released in a few days. One thing that confuses me is that the last update Windows 10 Version 1809 had a lot of problems and Microsoft had to block the update as it was deleting some users data.
Microsoft has given the new feature release, May 2019 Update, a month more for testing as it was scheduled to be released at the start of April. Although the new update will come with a lot of new features and bug fixes, it is wise to install it after a few weeks of being publicly available. This way, we can avoid any issues which may come with the initial release of this update.
In this article, I will tell you how to block Windows10 Version 1903 update. There are a few ways of accomplishing this. You can choose the method which is comfortable and easy for you.
Using Windows Settings
If you have Windows 10 Version 1809 installed, it gives the user an option to defer feature updates for up to one year. Here’s how you do it:
- Go to Windows Settings (Windows key + i)
- Go to Update & Security –> Windows Update
- On the right-hand pane, click on Advanced options.
- Under Choose when updates are installed, select either one of these:
Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)
- Under feature update defer option, select the number of days you want to defer updates. The maximum no. of days can be 365 which is a very long period. I would suggest setting it to 30 days. One month is a good enough period to check if the new update is behaving well for most of the users.
Using Windows Update Blocker
I don’t prefer using the Group Policy Editor or Windows Registry for normal users. These should be used when no other way is possible or unless you are a power user or a system administrator. There is a software called Windows Update Blocker which can block any service including Windows Update service. The downside of this method is that Windows Update will be disabled completely and you won’t be able to get cumulative updates as well as feature updates.
If you don’t want to get any kind of Windows updates, you should use this software.
Windows Update Blocker (440.5 KiB, 1,304 hits)
Windows Update Blocker 1.2 comes with support for blocking Windows 10 Version 1903. It is a portable program so it runs without requiring any installation. Just run wub.exe and you will find only two options:
- Enable Windows Update Service
- Disable Windows Update Service
You can choose to disable to block all new Windows updates.
I prefer the first method as it is more flexible and will only block the installation of Windows 10 feature updates like the May 2019 Update. If you do not want to get any kind of updates from Microsoft then you should use Windows Update Blocker.
How do you use Windows Updates?
Interesting Reads Next:
- Block Automatic Installation Of Internet Explorer 11 In Windows 7
- Windows 10 May 2019 Update (1903) Release Date And New Features
- How To Download Any Windows 10 Cumulative Update