Google has released Chrome 81 and this release coincides with the release of Firefox 75.
The Google Chrome 81 Stable version is available for download and installation across all platforms including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS.
As always, Chrome 81 comes with a few security fixes, some performance enhancements and a few new features. Let’s discuss the changes made in this version of Chrome browser but first some release details and the download part.
- Complete release build: Google Chrome 81.0.4044.92
- Release date: 7th April, 2020.
- Compatibility: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Linux, Mac, iOS and Android.
- Previous build: Chrome 80
Download Chrome 81
There are a few methods that can be used to update your Chrome browser to the latest version including:
- Update using Google update
- Use the download Chrome installer
- Using Ninite
- Download Chrome without using a browser
All these methods have been discussed on a separate page here:
You can use any method of your choice to download, install and run the latest Chrome browser. Otherwise, simply download it using the links given below:
Download: Google Chrome web installer
Download: Google Chrome offline installer
Download: Google Chrome MSI Installer [Enterprise Edition]
Download: Google Chrome for macOS
Download: Google Chrome for Android
Download: Google Chrome for iOS
Download: Google Chrome Portable
Security fixes and features included in Chrome 81
According to the latest update from Chrome updates blog, Google has fixed a total of 32 vulnerabilities in version 81. The three vulnerabilities of high severity level include the following:
- CVE-2020-6454: Use after free in extensions
- CVE-2020-6423: Use after free in audio.
- CVE-2020-6455: Out of bounds read in WebSQL.
8 of the security fixes have medium severity levels:
- CVE-2020-6430: Type Confusion in V8.
- CVE-2020-6456: Insufficient validation of untrusted input in clipboard.
- CVE-2020-6431: Insufficient policy enforcement on full screen.
- CVE-2020-6432: Insufficient policy enforcement in navigation.
- CVE-2020-6433: Insufficient policy enforcement for extensions.
- CVE-2020-6434: Use after free in devtools.
- CVE-2020-6435: Insufficient policy enforcement for extensions.
- CVE-2020-6436: Use after free in window management.
The rest of the bugfixes are of low severity. You can go through them all here.
Here are some of the enhancements and new features introduced in Google Chrome 81:
- Now Chrome has a built-in support for Web NFC. Web NFC allows a web app to read and write data using NFC tags. NFC or Near Field Communication is a wireless technology. You can read more about it here. This feature is especially useful for mobiles.
- Chrome 81 introduces App icon badging that means the applications will be able to use the tab title to inform the user of the new activity. This is especially useful for services like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Chrome 81 finally removes the FTP support built-in to the browser.
- Chrome 79 brought virtual reality right inside of the web browser. This version extends the VR functionality by introducing VR session types and hit testing.
- Chrome 81 will open the images via HTTPS by default. If the image is not available via HTTPS, it will be blocked by default. This is another move to remove mixed content from the web and make it more secure.
Google Chrome 81 mainly focuses on security. Since this update contains security fixes with high severity, chances are that these vulnerabilities will be exploited on the Internet soon. That’s why it’s advisable to update your Chrome browser to the latest version.
Which browser do you use for your work? Have you tried out the new Microsoft Edge that can be a real competitor to Chrome?
- Download Google Chrome Offline Installers [All Versions]
- Download Google Chrome 77 With New Customization Features
- Download Google Chrome 83: New Privacy & Security Settings, Tab Groups, Cookie Improvements
- Download Chrome 80 With Performance Improvements And Support For Same-site Cookies, Silent Notifications And More
- Download Google Chrome 79: Real-Time Phishing Protection + Password Warnings