One of our readers had an issue with his computer. He told that his computer screen went black and white (grayscale) suddenly and he has no idea what has gone wrong. He reinstalled the graphics card driver, looked into graphics card properties thoroughly but didn’t find a solution.
In this article we will discuss about two solutions to the issue of screen going black and white in Windows 10.
Computer display turning grayscale
Windows 10 Fall Creators update brings some exciting features for users. Unfortunately, some features get turned on mistakenly using unintended keyboard shortcuts. This issue arises from the same cause. Windows 10 Fall creators update has a feature of color filters. The user can turn on/off color filters in Windows 10. This feature is especially useful for visually impaired people who want a high contrast display.
Turn on/off Windows 10 color filters
To turn on or off Windows 10 color filters, follow the instructions below:
- Go to Start Menu –> Settings ( Win Key + X + N)
- Select Ease Of Access setting
- Select Color & High Contrast from the left hand menu
- On this screen, you will be able to turn on color filters
There are a lot of filters but since grayscale filter is selected by default, enabling the toggle button will make your screen black and white. Other filters include the following:
- Grayscale Inverted
Keyboard shortcut for enabling/disabling Windows 10 color filters
Most probably you had enabled Windows 10 color filters using a keyboard shortcut key mistakenly. To enable or disable color filters in Windows 10, just press Windows Key + Ctrl + C. This will enable color filters. If they are already enabled, pressing the same key sequence will disable the color filters.
Hopefully this will solve your issue of computer screen going black and while or grayscale. This setting of Windows 10 is permanent and will not be reverted even after restarting your computer. So you have to manually disable the setting if it is enabled mistakenly.
Please note that color filters feature is only available in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709). If you can’t find it then you don’t have the latest version of Windows. You may download and install the latest Windows 10 Version 1709 from here.
Must Read Articles:
- Download KB4093105 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 April 2018
- Download KB4048955 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 November 2017
- Download KB4056892 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 January 2018
- Download KB4043961 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 October 2017
- Download KB4054517 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 December 2017