Microsoft has released the cumulative updates KB4038801 for Windows 10 Anniversary update, version 1607. This is the second cumulative update in the month of September. Normally Microsoft releases only one cumulative update on second Tuesday of each month. This update has been released on Monday. The first cumulative update was KB4038782.
The first cumulative update didn’t go well with users. A lot of users reported issues after installing the update. That’s why Microsoft has released the second cumulative update which consists mainly of hotfixes. Interestingly, this update only applies of Windows 10 Version 1607 and not Windows Server 2016. There will be a separate update for Windows Server 2016.
Let’s go through the changes made in KB4038801 and then go to the download section.
Changelog of Cumulative Update KB4038801
The following are the improvements which have been made in the update KB4038801.
- The psm1 PowerShell script to not log passwords when logging is enabled has been updated.
- Fixed an issue with the Lock Workstation setting for smart cards where, sometimes, the system doesn’t lock when the smart card is removed.
- An issue was occurring where saving a credential with an empty password to Credential Manager causes the system to stop working when attempting to use the credential. This has been resolved now.
- An issue is addressed where an access token is improperly closed from a WMI query. This is removed now.
- An issue has been fixed where the size of a cloned file was improperly calculated by ReFS.
- An error which is “STOP 0x44 in Npfs!NpFsdDirectoryControl" has been removed.
- Addressed error 0x1_SysCallNum_71_nt!KiSystemServiceExitPico.
Get the update Via Windows Update
Since this is a cumulative update, you will always get it through Windows Update if you don’t install it manually. If you want to download this update, you may check the next section.
Press the “Windows Key+I" and go to Update and Security.
Then click on Windows Update from the left-hand side of the window. In the right-hand menu, you will see a button for check Updates. Click on it.
- If an update is present it will show you and ask you to download. Then the installation will start downloading.
- Restart your System to apply all the changes.
KB4038801 Direct Download Links
These links are from the official website of Microsoft.
It is highly recommended to install this update as soon as possible to avoid any issues which were arising after installing the previous update KB4038782.
Must Read Articles:
- Download KB4043961 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 October 2017
- Download Cumulative Update KB4040724 For Windows 10 Version 1703 September 2017
- Download KB4103714 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 May 2018
- Download KB4100403 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1803 May 2018
- Download KB4048954 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 November 2017