Firefox 60 stable has been released and is available for download and installation. We will share Firefox 60 offline installers in this article but first we’ll see what changes have been made to the new browser.
From Firefox 57, Mozilla is calling its browser Firefox Quantum and is working on performance improvement to compete with Google Chrome. The latest version of Firefox seems to come with a lot of improvements which we will discuss below.
1 What’s new in Firefox 60
- 1.1 Sponsored stories in the new tab (For U.S users only)
- 1.2 Group Policy Support
- 1.3 Same-site cookies security feature
- 1.4 New CSS engine for Firefox 60 for Android
- 1.5 Privacy related improvements
- 1.6 Other changes
- 2 Difference between Firefox 60, Firefox 52 ESR and Firefox 60 ESR
- 3 Firefox 60 direct download links
- 4 Firefox 60 ESR direct download links
What’s new in Firefox 60
Sponsored stories in the new tab (For U.S users only)
If you are from the US, Firefox 60 will show sponsored content on every new tab you open. The content will be sponsored from Pocket. Not all the US users will get these sponsored stories but still it is annoying and a privacy concern. Here’s how to disable sponsored stories after upgrading to Firefox 60.
How to disable sponsored stories in Firefox 60?
- Open new tab in Firefox 60
- Click on the gear icon on the top right corner of the tab.
- Uncheck Recommended by Pocket check box.
This will prevent Firefox from showing sponsored stories.
Group Policy Support
Firefox 60 comes with support for the enterprise. Now organizations can moderate Firefox browser across the network through Group Policy in case of Windows network and JSON in case of Mac and Linux. You can easily install the group policies template for Firefox and moderate Firefox across your organization.
How to install Firefox Group Policy templates in Windows 10
Here are the exact steps to install group policy templates for Firefox:
- Go to Mozilla GitHub and download Firefox Group Policy Templates.
- Extract the zip file and go to policy-templates-master\Windows folder
- Copy firefox.admx and mozilla.admx to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions
- Go to en-us folder inside Windows folder
- Copy firefox.adml and mozilla.adml to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us
- Open Group Policy Editor by going to Run –> gpedit.msc
- You will find Firefox group policies under Administrative Tools\Mozilla in both Computer Configuration and User Configuration.
Same-site cookies feature has been introduced in Firefox 60. It is a good step towards a more secure browser as it prevents attacks like cross-site request forgeries (CSRF).
Basically, the sites we open in a web browser place cookies in the browser cache for keeping information like a user is logged in or not etc. Unfortunately, the browser can not differentiate if the request is from a genuine website or a fraudulent source.
Same-site cookies enables the developers to tell the browser that cookies should only be accepted if they originate from a specific source.
There are many other security vulnerabilities which have been fixed in Firefox 60. You may go through the list of fixed vulnerabilities in Firefox 60 here.
New CSS engine for Firefox 60 for Android
Mozilla has also released Firefox 60 for Android and has introduced a CSS rendering engine called Stylo. Stylo was originally introduced in Firefox 57 for Desktop last year.
Firefox 60 for Android is releasing through Google Play store and you may get an update soon if you have already installed Firefox in your Android device. Otherwise, we will give Android download link in this article (in the download section).
Firefox 60 improves its camera privacy indicators. This will disable the camera and its light automatically when video recording is disabled. It will also enable the camera and light automatically when you enable video recording.
- Improvements to new tab including responsive layout.
- HTML5 improvements
- Developer support improvements
- SSL Certificates issues by Symantec before June 2016 are no longer in Firefox as well as Google Chrome.
- Reader View opens with F9 keyboard shortcut.
- Support for Occitan (oc) locale.
- Skia graphics library updated to 66.
- Support for web authentication API has been added allowing the users to authenticate from USB tokens (YubiKey etc.)
Difference between Firefox 60, Firefox 52 ESR and Firefox 60 ESR
Firefox 60 is mainly for home users as well as enterprises which are not bind with the functionality of Firefox. Firefox 60 ESR means Extended Support Release. ESR is mainly for enterprises and organizations who are not ready to implement new technologies released in the latest version of Firefox. The major difference starts from Firefox 53 and the gap widens from Firefox 57.
Firefox 60 and Firefox 60 ESR are very similar in features but a few features have been disabled in the ESR release to make it compatible for organizations which depend upon older technologies.
A few difference among Firefox 60, Firefox 60 ESR and Firefox 52 ESR are as follows:
- Push notifications are disable in Firefox 60 by default.
- You can disable add-on signatures in ESR version while Firefox 60 makes it mandatory to enable the signatures.
- Support for older Operating Systems like Windows XP and Windows Vista are only supported by Firefox 52 ESR.
- Microsoft Silverlight is only supported until Firefox 52 ESR.
- WebAssembly was disabled in Firefox 52 while it is enabled by default in Firefox 60 ESR.
If you encounter any issues, we would appreciate if you can talk to us through comments on this article.
Must Read Articles:
- Firefox 59 Offline Installers For All Operating Systems Direct Download Links
- Download Firefox 53 Offline Installers for all Operating Systems
- 2 Easy Ways To Download Latest Firefox Offline Installer
- Download Firefox 54 Offline Installers For All Operating Systems
- Firefox 56 Offline Installers For All Operating Systems Direct Download Links