Microsoft released a technical preview of Windows 10 some time ago. Windows 10 could be upgraded directly from Windows Update if the users were using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Now Microsoft has released Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones.
The ultimate goal of Microsoft seems to be the unification of all the platforms under one Operating System. So after a few versions, we will see that Windows will work on both mobile and Desktop systems. This will be a great achievement for Microsoft and will attract more mobile users to its Windows Phones.
Right now, if you have a Windows Phone of specific model, you will be able to try out the all new Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones. Let’s go through the steps on how to download and install Windows 10 TP on your phone right now.
Supported Windows Phone models
The technical preview of Windows 10 for Phones is only supported on the relatively newer models of Lumia. The following models are supported:
- Lumia 630
- Lumia 635
- Lumia 636
- Lumia 638
- Lumia 730
- Lumia 830
If you have any of the above mentioned models, you will be able to install and test Windows 10 TP for Phones. Another requirement is that your phone should have at least 8 GB of internal memory and Windows Phone 8.1 already installed.
Features of Windows 10 for Phones
Here are some of the features of Windows 10 for Phones on the Windows Blog.
- Full-size Background Image for Start: We believe phones should be intensely personal – so we’ve added another option to customize the start screen with a full-size background image.
- More Quick Actions in Action Center: We’ve increased the number of quick actions available to you. Windows Phone 8.1 has four programmable quick actions – but with Windows 10 you also get an expanded view that can now have up to three rows.
- Interactive Notifications: Notifications are now interactive, allowing you to take action directly like dismissing an alarm, or seeing images for maps. For example, for text messages, when the toast pops, you can quickly reply inline via text or voice.
- Significantly enhanced speech-to-text capability: You can talk to virtually any data field you choose. Your words show up as you speak them – and punctuation appears automatically. This feature is smart enough to understand when to use ‘two’ – the number — instead of ‘too’ as in ‘also’.
- More powerful Photos app: From your very first launch, Photos will show the aggregated set of all your local photos and all your OneDrive photos
Steps for installing Windows 10 for Phones on your phone
- The first step is to join the Windows Insider Program.
Join Windows Insider Program
If you have already joined the program, there is no need to join again. Just use the same Microsoft account which you used for joining first.
- Next, download Windows insider app on your Windows Phone.
Download Windows Insider app
- Sign in to the Windows Insider app using your Microsoft ID and follow the instructions of the app to download and install Windows 10 for Phones.
Please note that this is a technical preview and may result in unstable phone conditions and should only be used for testing. We would love to read your thoughts about the new Microsoft phone OS in the comments below.