Microsoft has released the KB4052231 Update to version 1607 and KB4049370 Update to version 1703 for Windows 10 OS for the month of November. You can download the update from direct links provided at the end of the article.
The update for version 1607 has been released to address the issues with Microsoft JET Database Engine. And the update for version 1703 basically comes with improvements for Microsoft Surface Laptops. No new features have been introduced, but quality improvements are delivered via these updates.
Let’s go through the change-log of both updates and see if any, known issues are present. Then you may get the download links for its offline installers. You can also get the update via Windows Update because this is a cumulative update.
Changelog of KB4052231 Update for Windows 10 version 1607
This update includes quality improvements. This update is majorly related to fixing issues and not releasing new features for the existing system. Key changes include:
- The issue has been fixed where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is, “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)“.
- After installing KB4041691, package users may see an error dialog that indicates that an application exception has occurred when closing some applications. This can affect applications that use mshtml.dll to load web content. The failure only occurs when a process is already shutting down and doesn’t impact application functionality.
- Some users who have the text size for icons set to a larger size (using the Display Settings in Control Panel) may have issues launching Internet Explorer.
Changelog of KB4049370 Update for Windows 10 version 1703
This release is intended for Microsoft Surface Laptop audiences only. This is a download only update. This means that the users who are using Microsoft Surface devices will be able to download the update from below given links but this update will not show up in Windows Updates. Key changes include:
- An issue was found where after installing KB4038788, some Microsoft Surface Laptops boot to a black screen. Additionally, you must press the power button for a long time to recover. This has been fixed.
- Installing KB4034674 may change Czech and Arabic languages to English for Microsoft Edge and other applications.
- Installing this update may cause applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) to fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is, “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)”.
- Even after successfully installing the update and rebooting, you may see the message “Update needs a restart" in the Control Panel UI.
Get the update via Windows Update
If you do not want to download the offline installer, then get the update Via Windows Update automatically by proceeding with following simple steps.
Press the “Windows Key+I" and go to Update and Security.
Then click on Windows Update from the left-hand side of the window. In the right-hand menu, you will see a button for check Updates. Click on it.
- If an update is present it will show you and then ask your confirmation if you want to download the update.
- Downloading will start shortly. After the downloading, the update will install on your system automatically.
- Restart your System to affect all the changes properly.
It is always recommended to get the latest updates as Microsoft has released them to deliver some better improvements and functionality.
Must Read Articles:
- Download KB4043961 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 October 2017
- Download KB4041681 And KB4041678 Update For Windows 7 October 2017
- Download KB4100403 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1803 May 2018
- Download KB4056890 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1607 January 2018
- Download KB4056891 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1703 January 2018