Download KB4457142 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 September 2018
Microsoft has released KB4457142 cumulative update for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Version 1709. After installing this update, the complete build number of Windows will become 10.0.16299.665. It is recommended that you should always keep your system up to date.
Here is the KB4457142 change log:
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft scripting engine, Windows graphics, Windows media, Windows Shell, Windows cryptography, Windows virtualization and kernel, Windows datacenter networking, Windows hyper-V, Windows Linux, Windows kernel, Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows MSXML, and Windows Server.
- It also fixes the dreaded task scheduler zero-day vulnerability. This is a severe vulnerability in which the attacker could get administrative access to the system and can view, change and delete system data as well as create new user with administrative privileges.
In my opinion, it’s important to install this update otherwise the user will be left vulnerable to the task scheduler bug.
For some users, Windows did not ask for a restart after installing this update. But when they ran Windows Update again, Windows asked for a restart. Before restart, Windows will not update its build number and the new updates will not take effect. So it’s recommended to restart your computer after installing this update even if Windows is not asking for it.
If you have configured your system to not download and install the next major build of Windows 10 Version 1809, then you must revisit the settings again to make sure that the settings are intact and have not been reverted by this update.
Some users have also reported that their programs are taking 5 to 7 seconds of delay after installing this update. This performance lag could be temporary but I have also encountered this delay issue on my production system.
How to get KB4457142 update for Windows 10 Version 1709
Microsoft also released an update KB4459082 for Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 users. The update for Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 can be downloaded from here:
Before installing KB4457142 update
Before installing any Windows Update, it is always recommended to create a restore point for your safety.
Create a restore point
This should be the default case before installing any update or software on your system. At the very least, if the system get bricked after installing an update, you will be able to revert back to the working point.
On the System Protection tab, enable System Restore and create a restore point manually.
Must Read Articles:
- Download KB4457128 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1803 September 2018
- Download KB4457138 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1703 September 2018
- Download KB4345419 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1703 July 2018
- Download KB4103722 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1703 May 2018
- Download KB4103720 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1607 May 2018