Microsoft recently released an optional update KB4535996 for Windows 10 Version 1909 and Version 1903. This update will not automatically install with Windows Update.
Instead, you will need to download and install it manually. In this article, we will discuss how to download and install KB4535996 and then we’ll discuss why this is an important update, its features, and issues.
There are two ways to download and install this update. Either you can use Windows Update or you can also directly download the offline installers of this update and install it manually. We will discuss both methods here.
Download KB4535996 using Windows Update
- Go to Windows Settings (Windows key + i) –> Update & Security –> Windows Update
- You will see the following entry:
2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4525996)
- Click on Download and Install link
This will automatically download the update and install it for you. You will need to restart your computer to complete the installation process.
Download KB4535996 offline installers
If you do not want to use Windows Update or this update is not installing using Windows Update, you can manually download the update and then install it.
Go to the KB4535996 download catalog page.
The catalog page gives the following options related to Windows 10:
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x86-based Systems (KB4535996)
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4535996)
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for ARM64-based Systems (KB4535996)
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for ARM64-based Systems (KB4535996)
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x86-based Systems (KB4535996)
- 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4535996)
Just press the Download button according to your system configuration (32-bit, 64-bit or ARM64-based). This will download the .msu file. You can double-click the downloaded file to run the installer.
KB4535996 Major fixes and changes
It’s a huge but non-security update. Its emphasis is on delivering different fixes for the users.
You can skip it if you want because it will be offered as a part of the mandatory Microsoft Patch Tuesday release of next month. But the bugfixes mentioned on the KB4535996 support page are interesting enough that I would definitely recommend installing this update.
Although there are a lot of fixes mentioned on the support page, I will only list down the major ones here:
- Microsoft introduced modern standby mode support in Windows 10. The modern standby mode provides a smartphone-like always-connected experience on a Windows 10 laptop. Some users were complaining that it was causing their laptops to overheat when on standby. This update introduces a new version of modern standby for Windows 10 and will improve laptop battery performance.
- Fixing keyboard layout changes after restart
- Fixing printing bugs and issue which prevents apps from printing to some network printers.
- Fixed an issue in Microsoft browsers that might cause the browsers to bypass proxy servers. The browsers may include Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and Microsoft Edge Chromium.
- Fixed a Group Policy issue that caused the policy “Allow uninstallation of language features when a language is uninstalled” from taking effect.
- Fixed a Windows Search box issue that prevented it from “rendering fully in the space allotted for it2. And also fixed an issue with Windows search that prevented from showing results.
- Fixed an issue with Network Profile Service which forced the system to stop responding.
- Fixed an issue with Local Security Authority Subsystem Service to stop working and trigger a system restart automatically.
- Fixed a log corruption issue when a storage volume is full.
- Fixed a Remote Desktop session disconnect issue.
- Fixed a certification issue that caused Internet Explorer mode on Microsoft Edge to fail.
I have been going through Microsoft and Reddit forums and have seen some complaints about issues after installing the KB4535996 update. Some are unable to install the update while getting 0x800f0922 and 0x80070003 error messages. For some users, the update freezes while installing and some users are also seeing BSODs when they restart the computer after installing this update.
I installed it on my computers and laptops but didn’t encounter any error. The installation went smoothly and completed successfully. I can say that only a very small percentage of users will have problems with this update. If you are one of them, you should uninstall the update.
- Download and Install KB4541335 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For March 2020 [Version 1909, 1903]
- Fix Error Failure to Install SSU Before LCU. Turn Your Computer Off and Back On Again
- Download, Install And Troubleshoot KB4540673 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For March 2020 [Version 1909, 1903]
- Download And Install KB4551762 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For March 2020 [Version 1909, 1903]
- KB4524244 Update For Windows 10: Issues And Uninstall Guide