Microsoft has released Chromium Edge 90 to the stable channel with new features and policies for its users. This version will be available to install for all users within a few days as part of the Progressive rollout.
This new update to Edge introduces new and exciting features such as Single Sign On (SSO) for Azure Active Directory (AAD) and Microsoft accounts on macOS. It also focuses on the print User Interface (UI) and other print-related features that are discussed in detail further down the article.
Moreover, Microsoft has also introduced a Security Baseline for Edge 90 which includes 9 new computer settings and 9 new user settings. However, Microsoft states that no additional settings were required to be enforced, hence the Security Baseline for Edge 88 is still Microsoft’s recommended Baseline.
Table of contents
- New features in Microsoft Edge 90
- New in Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge 90
- Release Summary
- Download Microsoft Edge 90
- Download and Install Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge v90
New features in Microsoft Edge 90
Single Sign On
This feature is introduced for users of Microsoft Edge on macOS. Users signed in on Edge using AAD or Microsoft account will now be automatically signed in on websites that allow SSO.
Administrators can now choose a print rasterization mode for their users using a Group Policy. These options are Full and Fast. This policy controls how Edge prints to non-PostScript printers on a Windows platform.
Moreover, new page scaling options have also been added to Edge 90. Users can now customize scaling while printing PDFs using “additional options.” Two options have been added:
- Fit to page
- Actual size
The “Fit to Page” ensures that the page being printed fits into one paper, according to the selected “Paper size.” However, in the case of “Actual size,” the real size of the content will be printed regardless of the “Paper size.”
An additional tweak made to the print option is that only the configured printers and “Print to PDF” have been locked onto the UI print settings. Additional improvements have been made to the kiosk mode to restrict the launch of third-party applications from the browser.
Other changes in Edge 90 include the following:
- Content copied to the clipboard is now parsed and suggested when you click a profile/address field.
- Autofill suggestions pop up automatically when you fill out forms if you have information saved in Microsoft Edge. This will help you save time by not having to manually type in the details.
- Downloaded items can now be directly accessed from a flyout in the top-right corner of the browser in the menu bar.
- Improvements have been made to font rendering to reduce blurriness and enhance clarity.
- The policy for Kids mode has been updated so once the policy is enabled, the Kids mode feature will be disabled in addition to family safety.
Microsoft has added the following new policies to Edge 90 which can be configured using the Group Policy Editor:
- ApplicationGuardFavoritesSyncEnabled – Application Guard Favorites Sync Enabled
- FetchKeepaliveDurationSecondsOnShutdown- Fetch keepalive duration on shutdown
- ManagedConfigurationPerOrigin – Sets managed configuration values for websites to specific origins
- PrintRasterizationMode – Print Rasterization Mode
- QuickViewOfficeFilesEnabled – Manage QuickView Office files capability in Microsoft Edge
- SSLErrorOverrideAllowedForOrigins – Allow users to proceed from the HTTPS warning page for specific origins
- WindowOcclusionEnabled – Enable Window Occlusion
- WindowsHelloForHTTPAuthEnabled – Windows Hello For HTTP Auth Enabled
New in Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge 90
As we mentioned earlier, the Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge 90 has also been released, but Microsoft felt that no additional policies needed to be enforced after the Security Baseline for Edge 88. Therefore, a few changes have been made to the existing Security Baseline and the following policies have been added:
The above policies have been added for both the computer and the user. Therefore, all of these policies can be found in the following two locations:
To learn more about these new policies, click here to download the excel sheet.
- Complete release build: 90.0.818.41
- Release date: Thursday, April 15, 2021
- Compatibility: Windows 10, 8.1, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Mac, iOS, and Android.
- Previous build: Edge 89
Download Microsoft Edge 90
You can update and download Edge 90 in three ways:
Upgrade to Edge 90
Since Microsoft Edge comes pre-installed with Windows 10, you can use this method to get this update.
Open Microsoft Edge and go to Feedback and Help –> About Microsoft Edge.
This will trigger an automatic update check. Edge will automatically detect the latest version and download it for you. Once the download is completed, you will need to restart the browser.
Once it restarts, you can return to the About page and check that it has been updated to version 90.
Download Edge 90 installers
If you want to use Edge 90 on any Operating System other than Windows 10, like Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Linux, macOS, etc., you will need to download the offline installers of the browser.
You can go here to download the latest Microsoft Edge installers (including stable, beta, and dev releases). You can also download the browser in your preferred language using the tips given on the above-mentioned page
Use Portable Edge Chromium Updater
A small, portable tool known as Portable Edge Updater is available on GitHub that allows you to install or update the existing Microsoft Edge Chromium to the latest build available. Not only that, you can use this tool to download the x64 and x86 versions from all channels, which includes the stable channel as well as the 3 channels from Edge Insider.
Download the tool by opening the GitHub page and then click on the link provided Portable.Edge.Chromium.Updater….7z.
The tool will then download. Extract it and then run the executable application inside it. Inside the tool, click on the channel and bit architecture that you want to download. The versions are also mentioned. In this case, we shall be downloading Edge version 90 from the stable channel.
The browser will then begin to download or update. Once it is done, you can check that Microsoft Edge Chromium 90 is now available on your device.
Download and Install Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge v90
Use the guide below to download and install the new Security Baseline for Microsoft Edge. You can also select all the features in the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit as per your requirement.
- Open the page for Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit 1.0. Scroll down and then click on Download.
- Check the box next to Microsoft Edge v88 Baseline.zip (and any other baselines you may require) and then click Next.
- Your download should now begin. When downloaded, extract the files.
- When extracted, navigate to the following location within the extracted folder:
Microsoft Edge v88 Security Baseline FINAL -> Scripts
- Now right-click Baseline-LocalInstall and click on Run with PowerShell from the context menu.
If you want to run the baseline for Active Directory, then you should run Baseline-ADImport script.
- The script will now run automatically. Wait for the PowerShell window to close on its own
You have now successfully installed the latest security baseline for Microsoft Edge v90. Note that the Security Baseline used for Edge 90 is the same as v88 with minor tweaks.
Microsoft Edge Update History
|Edge Version||Release Date||Features & improvements|
|Edge 119||2-Nov-23||Addresses 16 vulnerabilities, improves split-screen restore, ability to manage sidebar app auto-launch, “Always show sidebar” option placed under Copilot settings|
|Edge 118||13-Oct-23||Addresses 15 vulnerabilities, and introduces AI-powered Find on Page.|
|Edge 117||15-Sep-23||Addresses 14 vulnerabilities, includes More Tools deprecations and unload event deprecation, includes support for Microsoft Edge for Business for BYOPC via Intune.|
|Edge 116||21-Aug-23||Addresses 23 vulnerabilities, introduces split screen, ability to drop files across devices, and ability to attach Edge sidebar to desktop.|
|Edge 115||21-Jul-23||Microsoft Edge management service, rounded tabs, mouse gestures, split screen view.|
|Edge 113||5-May-23||Basic Enhanced Security Mode was removed, shifted to EdgeUpdater on macOS, and introduced new policies, addresses 2 security vulnerabilities.|
|Edge 112||6-Apr-23||Introduced Browser Essentials in place of the Performance Hub, improvements to enhanced security mode and some policies.|
|Edge 111||13-Mar-23||Bing copilot in the toolbar, auto-hiding sidebar, hover over the sidebar to expand, and policy to clear IE mode history on browser exit.|
|Edge 110||9-Feb-23||Introduces Immersive Reader policies, Azure Active Directory synchronization, Drop feature to share files, and several security updates.|
|Edge 109||13-Jan-23||14 security updates, 8 new policies, and 2 deprecated policies.|
|Edge 108||5-Dec-22||Important security fixes, a new policy to disable Web Select amongst others.|
|Edge 107||27-Oct-22||Improved sidebar, new policies, and security fixes.|
|Edge 106||3-Oct-22||Improved web defense and increased the maximum number of search results to 4|
|Edge 105||2-Sep-22||Improvements to IE mode and enhanced security|
|Edge 104||5-Aug-22||Support to import data and enhanced security on the web|
|Edge 103||23-Jun-22||Improvements for online and web gaming|
|Edge 102||31-May-22||With reverse image search and security improvements|
|Edge 100||1-Apr-22||Sends 3-digit user agent string, PDF updates, and hardware-enforces stack protection|
|Edge 99||3-Mar-22||Custom primary password and PDF navigation|
|Edge 98||4-Feb-22||Edge Bar, reduced resource consumption|
|Edge 97||6-Jan-22||Auto-citation, endpoint data loss prevention (DLP)|
|Edge 96||10-Dec-21||Super duper secure mode, typosquatting|
|Edge 90||15-Apr-21||SSO, PDF printing|
|Edge 89||4-Mar-21||Vertical Tabs, Sleeping Tabs, Startup Boost|
|Edge 88||21-Jan-21||Password generator, transparent privacy controls|