The Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser can now be upgraded to version 99.0.1150.30 on the stable version. Although Microsoft does not publish detailed release notes anymore, this post discusses the key improvements made to the browser with this update and also installs several security patches to keep your devices and online browsing safe.
After upgrading to Edge 99 using the given guide below, you can now navigate through your PDF files opened with Microsoft Edge using the thumbnails representing the pages in the left pane. Furthermore, you can now also customize your primary password for the initial authentication step before auto-filling passwords on forms.
Some other improvements have also been introduced, which are discussed further down this post. Let us now show you how to upgrade your existing Edge browser to version 99. If you have deleted the browser, you can install it from the direct download links for different platforms given below.
Table of contents
- Complete Release Build: 99.0.1150.30
- Release Date: Thursday, March 3, 2022
- Compatibility: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Previous Build: Edge 98.0.1108.43
New in Microsoft Edge 99
Custom Primary Password
Microsoft Edge already has the ability to ask for your device’s password before auto-filling credentials in a web form. Now you can change this setting to Edge by asking for a custom password, not the device’s password.
Follow these steps to enable this feature:
- Navigate to the following:
Microsoft Edge >> Settings >> Profiles >> Passwords
- Here, under Sign in, click “Prompt for a custom primary password before filling out the website password.”
- You will now be asked to put in your device password/PIN. Enter it.
- In the next window, enter your custom password, confirm it, and then click Create.
- Now choose whether to “Always ask for password” or “Ask permission once per browsing session” from the drop-down menu under it.
You will now be asked for a custom password, rather than the device’s password, when Edge fills in the credentials automatically. This feature adds another layer of protection to all your web accounts.
While viewing a PDF file from Microsoft Edge, you can now navigate through the file from the thumbnails given in the pane on the left.
This navigation pane can be expanded or collapsed using the button in the top-left corner of the browser (highlighted in the image above). This feature allows users to quickly move through a PDF file and jump to different pages.
Some other improvements have also been introduced with this release:
- Starting with Microsoft Edge 100, Edge will send a three-digit version number in the User-Agent header, for example “Edg/100.” However, in Edge 97 and above, site owners can test this upcoming agent string by enabling the force-major-version-to-100 experiment flag in
edge://flagsto ensure their User-Agent parsing logic is robust and works as expected.
- Users can personalize their multi-profile experience with the ability to create a customized list of sites for automatic profile switching in Microsoft Edge. This setting can be managed at
Microsoft Edge >> Settings >> Profiles >> Profile preferencesprovided that you have 2 or more profiles signed into Edge.
- Use the PasswordManagerBlocklist policy to configure the list of domains (HTTP/HTTPS schemas and hostnames only), where Microsoft Edge should disable the password manager. This means that Save and Fill workflows will be disabled, which ensures that passwords for those websites can’t be saved or auto filled into web forms. These websites show up in the Never saved section at
Microsoft Edge >> Settings >> Profiles >> Passwords.
These are the significant changes introduced with this update. To learn more about security patches, read here.
Download Microsoft Edge 99
If you already have Microsoft Edge on your PC, you can simply upgrade it to the latest build. If not, use the links given in the next section to install it now.
Upgrade to Edge 99
Follow the steps below to upgrade to the latest available Edge version:
- Click on the ellipses in the top-right corner of the browser, expand Help and feedback, and then click About Microsoft Edge.
- Edge will now begin to scan for an update, and then download and install it if one is available. Once the download is completed, you will need to Restart the browser.
Once it relaunches, you can return to the About page and check that it has been updated to version 99.0.1150.30.
Download Edge 99 Installers
If you want to use Edge 99 on any operating system other than Windows 11 and 10, like Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android, you will need to download its offline installers.
You can download the latest Microsoft Edge installers (including stable, beta, and dev releases) from this link. You can also download the browser in your preferred language, using the tips given on the above-mentioned page.
Use Portable Edge Chromium Updater
If you are using Edge’s portable version, it will not update on its own. For that, a small tool known as Portable Edge Updater is available on GitHub, which allows you to install or update the existing Microsoft Edge Chromium to the latest build available. You can also use this tool to download the x64 and x86 versions from all channels, including the stable channel and the 3 channels from Edge Insider.
Download the tool by opening the Portable Edge GitHub page and then clicking on the link provided Portable.Edge.Chromium.Updater….7z.
The tool is then downloaded. Extract it and then run the .exe file. Inside the tool, click on the channel and bit architecture you want to download (the versions are also mentioned). In this case, we will download Edge version 99 from the stable channel.
The browser will then begin to update (or download). Once it is done, you can check that the Microsoft Edge Chromium portable 98 is now available on your device.
Microsoft Edge Update History
|Edge Version||Release Date||Features|
|Edge 109||13-Jan-23||14 security updates, 8 new policies, and 2 deprecated policies.|
|Edge 108||5-Dec-22||Important security fixes, a new policy to disable Web Select amongst others.|
|Edge 107||27-Oct-22||Improved sidebar, new policies, and security fixes.|
|Edge 106||3-Oct-22||Improved web defense and increased the maximum number of search results to 4|
|Edge 105||2-Sep-22||Improvements to IE mode and enhanced security|
|Edge 104||5-Aug-22||Support to import data and enhanced security on the web|
|Edge 103||23-Jun-22||Improvements for online and web gaming|
|Edge 102||31-May-22||With reverse image search and security improvements|
|Edge 100||1-Apr-22||Sends 3-digit user agent string, PDF updates, and hardware-enforces stack protection|
|Edge 99||3-Mar-22||Custom primary password and PDF navigation|
|Edge 98||4-Feb-22||Edge Bar, reduced resource consumption|
|Edge 97||6-Jan-22||Auto-citation, endpoint data loss prevention (DLP)|
|Edge 96||10-Dec-21||Super duper secure mode, typosquatting|
|Edge 90||15-Apr-21||SSO, PDF printing|
|Edge 88||21-Jan-21||Password generator, transparent privacy controls|
Google Chrome 99 was also recently released. Microsoft followed the trend of releasing an Edge update shortly after Chrome. However, the features introduced in this update were not identical to the ones introduced in Chrome 99.
Edge 100 is scheduled to release by the week of March 31, 2022. You can view the tentative release dates for future updates for Edge here.
- Download Microsoft Edge 100 with PDF Updates and Stack Protection
- Microsoft Edge 104 Released With Data Import Capabilities From Chrome & Security Improvements
- Download Microsoft Edge 98 with Edge Bar and Reduced Resource Consumption
- Microsoft Edge 102 Released With Security Fixes But No Major Features
- Download Microsoft Edge 96.0.1054.53: Super Duper Secure Mode and Typosquatting Coming