Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes Error Fix
If you are running Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7, you may come across a weird problem regarding Windows Updates. You may come up with the following error message:
Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer.
Last time I encountered this problem when Windows Update was upgrading my Windows 10 installation. I have already written about the solution to error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C On Windows 8/8.1/10 Update.
When the failure in Windows updates occur, it typically takes quite a lot of time to revert change back to the working state (30 minutes or more). This is normal and you should not interfere with the reverting process or restart your computer during this process. In case of accidental restarts, Windows 10 automatically starts the reverting process from the beginning.
Fixing Failure Configuring Windows Updates Issue
There are a few steps that you can take to resolve this problem. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Manually finding a solution
First you should try to disable all the startup items and third party services and clean boot Windows in order to see if any third party application is interfering with the Windows update process. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Run –> msconfig
- In General tab, uncheck “Load startup items“
- Now go to Services tab, check “Hide all Microsoft services“
- Click on Disable All button.
- Click OK and restart the computer.
After the computer has restarted, try to run Windows Update again and see if you encounter the same problem again. If the problem persists, that means no third party service or app is interfering in the Windows Update process but some Windows components have malfunctioned or are configured incorrectly.
Using Microsoft Fixit to fix Failure configuing Windows updates problem
You can also make use of Windows Update Troubleshooter app from Microsoft to automatically diagnose and fix most of the Windows update problems. Follow the steps below to run Microsoft Fixit troubleshooter for Windows Updates.
- Download and run Microsoft Fixit for Windows Troubleshooter
- It will list down the services which will be reset and investigated. Press Next to proceed
- The troubleshooter app will start collecting files and detecting problems
- Lastly, it will try to automatically fix any problem found during investigation
Basically, the Fixit tool will look for the following problems:
- Service registration missing or corrupt
- Windows Update environment variables are incorrect
- Some security settings are missing or have been changed
- Check for missing or corrupt files
This should solve your Windows Update error. If you are still getting the same Windows Update error and the system is not updating, kindly provide us more detail in the comments below so that we may be able to investigate the problem further.