Mozilla has released the next version for their web browser, Firefox 87, as per schedule. Firefox has been supported on the following platforms for some time now:
If you are using any of the above platforms, you can download and install Mozilla Firefox 87 using the links provided down below.
This release primarily focuses on user privacy proper website loading even in private mode. A new feature known as SmartBlock will reduce website breakage when users will be browsing in private mode and with Strict Enhanced Tracking Protection enabled. Moreover, the new default HTTP Referrer policy will trim the path and query string information to ensure that websites do not accidentally leak any sensitive user information.
A total of 8 vulnerabilities have been addressed in Firefox 87, out of which 3 are deemed to be of high priority. You can find more about the security fixes on Firefox’s Security Advisory page. Now let us continue to discuss how you can download and upgrade your web browser to Firefox version 87.
Table of contents
Upgrade to Firefox 87
If you’re already using Mozilla Firefox on your PC, then updating it to the latest versions is very easy. Follow the steps below to update your browser to version 87.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the menu button in the top-right corner of the window. This will open the Firefox menu.
- Now expand Help and click About Firefox.
- The About Mozilla Firefox window will now popup and Firefox will start searching for a new update automatically. Once it is downloaded, click Restart to Update Firefox.
Your browser will now restart. Once it does, you can check that it has been updated by returning to the About Mozilla Firefox window.
Download the browser from the links listed below if you do not already have it.
Mozilla Firefox 87 Offline Installers
Download Firefox 87 for Windows 64-bit [54.2 MB]
Download Firefox 87 for Windows 32-bit [53.0 MB]
Download Firefox 87 for Linux [71.6 MB]
Download Firefox 87 for Mac [126 MB]
Install Firefox 87
Installing Firefox is as easy as downloading it using the links above. Follow the steps below:
- Download the installation package according to your operating system from the links above and then double-click it to execute.
- The installation wizard will now launch. Click Next to proceed.
- In the next window, select the method for installation. We recommend that you select Standard installation as every basic component is automatically selected to install. Click Next when done.
- Now select a location for installation and then click Install.
- Your installation will now be completed. Click Finish.
The process is the same for all Windows computers.
What’s new in Firefox 87
Firefox has now introduced a SmartBlock feature in Firefox 87 that fixes broken webpages that are affected by the policies implemented on Firefox that provides online tracking protection. Firefox now has built-in scripts that function like the original ones on websites to ensure that users do not experience broken websites only to protect their privacy.
While browsing in Strict or Private mode, users often experienced that a website may be broken, which is not the case when the same website is accessed through the normal mode. Hence, SmartBlock will now give the users the privacy they deserve while maintaining usability and experience.
In the previous Firefox versions, there could be a considerable delay for a website to load properly while in Private mode. Now, users can browse in Private mode as if they were using a regular browser without any restrictions, with the added benefit of extreme privacy. You can read more about the feature in this Mozilla’s post.
Default HTTP Referrer policy
Websites can and tend to use user information for logging, advertisement, etc. This information is deduced from the referrer headers that accompany the complete URL. Sometimes the headers also contain private user data like account information on a website, content the user is viewing, etc.
In Firefox 87, Mozilla has added the feature which will by default remove this portion of the referrer headers, which includes the path and query string information, before forwarding it to the website. This will leave no chance for the website to exploit or leak your information accidentally.
You can read in detail about this feature in Mozilla’s post.
Tick marks on Find in Page feature
Firefox 87 now highlights the portions in the scrollbar where matching content is found as searched in the “Find in Page.” You can use this feature by searching for a keyword on the website.
Simply press the Ctrl + F shortcut keys and then type in the word you are looking for in the text field at the bottom. Click Highlight All and all similar words on the webpage will be highlighted, and you can navigate to them directly using the scrollbar, as in the image below:
Support for screen reader on macOS
An accessibility feature has now been added for Mac users. Firefox 87 now supports assistive technology that will read out the text on your screen for you, VoiceOver. This feature was previously available for all platforms except for macOS.
Other fixes and improvements
Amongst these amazing features, Firefox has also made the following changes:
Silesian (szl)locale has been added.
- Video controls in Firefox now have visible focus styling.
- Audio and video controls are now navigable via keyboard.
- HTML <meter> is now audible by screen readers.
- The browser will now set its initial focus in Add-ons Manager.
- The browser will now fire a name/description change event when aria-labelledby/describedby content changes.
- Release Date: March 23rd, 2021
- Compatibility: Compatible with Windows 7, 8, 10 (32-bit and 64-bit both), Mac, and Linux
- Corresponding Extended Support Release (ESR): 78.9
- Previous most recent stable version: Firefox 86.0
Mozilla Firefox release dates for 2021
- Firefox 88 – 20th April 2021
- Firefox 89 – 18th May 2021
- Firefox 90 – 15th June 2021
- Firefox 91 – 13th July 2021
- Firefox 92 – 10th August 2021
- Firefox 93 – 7th September 2021
- Firefox 94 – 5th October 2021
- Firefox 95 – 2nd November 2021
- Firefox 96 – 7th December 2021