Microsoft released the feature update Windows 11 22H2 (2022 Update) on the 20th of September 2022. However, users with NVIDIA GPUs reported a wide-scale problem of performance issues with their hardware.
Installing the latest Windows 11 feature update made significant FPS loss, caused stuttering, and in certain cases, dropped the CPU consumption significantly.
Even though, as we reported earlier, different OEMs released Windows 11 22H2 supported drivers much earlier than the operating system update. Even so, it seems that NVIDIA was not ready for what was to come.
With these issues, users were either forced to keep using their computers with these issues, or forced to roll back to Windows 11 21H2, which reportedly fixed all of these new performance issues.
That said, NVIDIA took quick action against these complaints and has now published an emergency patch for the issue which resolves them.
Fix NVIDIA GPU Performance Issues with Windows 11 22H2
NVIDIA has now released a GeForce Experience (GFE) beta update version 3.26. This is an emergency release by the OEM with the specific highlight of fixing the issues with the Windows 11 2022 Update.
There are 2 ways to implement this patch. If you are affected by the said issues, then you should attempt to fix them by either of the following methods.
Download GeForce Experience Version 3.26
Download and install the GeForce Experience app version 3.26 using the direct download link below:
Enable Experimental Features
Enable the experimental features from inside the current GeForce Experience app on your computer. Here is how:
- Go to Settings from inside the GeForce Experience app and select Enable Experimental Features.
- Now close the app and wait for 30 seconds.
- Now relaunch the GeForce Experience app and it will begin updating to the latest beta version available and fix the issues automatically.
Either way, the application will update and you should no longer experience the issues which you did after upgrading to Windows 11 22H2.
Some other fixes and improvements have also been made with this release:
- Fixed issues with the in-game overlay for games such as Farming Simulator 22, Cyberpunk 2077, PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS, and F1 2021.
- Fixed issues with desktop notification for rewards.
- Fixed an issue where Alt+F12 hotkey was unusable in other apps.
- Fixed an issue where performance overlay resets to Basic after a system reboot or starting.
- Fixed an issue where the system restarts automatically after self-update.
What Caused NVIDIA GPU Issues with Windows 11 22H2
Not everyone with NVIDIA hardware experienced issues whilst gaming and other GPU-specific tasks. There are reports that the end-users who had the older GeForce Experience app installed fell victim to the issues upon installing Windows 11 2022 Update. Apparently, there was a bug that made compatibility with the new feature update break.
However, upon further investigation, it was determined that there was a new graphics debugging tool in Windows 11 22H2 which was causing issues with the GeForce Experience app, which resulted in all of these performance issues.
Users that did not have the application installed on their PCs didn’t experience any problems, since the new debugging tool didn’t affect them at all. Furthermore, uninstalling the GeForce Experience app, rather than upgrading it, also fixes the issue at the time. That said, you can now safely install the latest beta version of the app.