For the past couple of days, people using Windows 7 are facing error 80248015 with Windows Update. If you are using Windows 7, most probably your Windows Update functionality is broken at the moment.
If you check for updates in Windows 7 using Windows Update, you’ll get the following error message:
Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer. Error 80248015.
There are a few solutions which have been suggested in the forums and other websites. We will discuss those solutions in this article. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Change the system date in Windows 7
According to Woody from ComputerWorld, Microsoft forgot to update the expiry date of a Windows system file which Windows update uses. This may be the cause of people getting this error message.
If Windows 7 asks you to restart the computer for the resolution of this issue, hopefully it will not be resolved even after restart. You may need to change the expiration date of the Authorization system file to get rid of this issue temporarily.
The expiration date of the file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\authcab.cab is apparently set to 3rd December, 2017. You can change the system date before 3rd December to get rid of this issue. But this is a temporary solution. Else you can also disable Windows Update for a few days until Microsoft fixes the issue itself.
For a better solution, you may head to the next solution.
Delete SoftwareDistribution files to fix Error 80248015
If you do not want to change your system date, you may follow the steps below to get rid of the issue permanently:
Follow the steps below:
- Go to Run –> Services
- Find Windows Update services and stop it for time being
Go to the following folder:
- Delete all files from the folder. If you are not able to delete the files, just rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old or something else.
- Go to Services –> Windows Update and start the service again.
Restart the computer and see if this has resolved the issue. This will force the download of Windows Update files again from Microsoft and the file with proper expiry will be downloaded again resolving the issue.
It is quite astonishing that a company like Microsoft can forget things like setting expiry dates of files and interestingly the errors like error 80248015 have been reserved for these kinds of issues.
Must Read Articles:
- 4 Ways to Fix “File Explorer has Stopped Working” Error in Windows 10
- Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes Error Fix
- 2 Ways To Fix OneDriveSetup Causes High CPU Usage
- 4 Ways To Fix “Another App Is Controlling Your Sound At The Moment” Error In Windows 10
- [Solved] RDP Authentication Error Function Requested Is Not Supported