Microsoft has released KB4565351 cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1909 and Version 1903. This update is a part of the Microsoft Windows Patch Tuesday for August 2020, which shall be automatically installed on all registered devices through Windows Update.
After installing the KB4565351 update, the build number of the operating system would become 18363.1016 for Version 1909, and 18362.1016 for Version 1903.
- 1 What’s new in KB4565351
- 2 Install KB4565351 using Windows Update
- 3 Download KB4565351 Offline installers
- 4 Issues related to KB4565351
- 5 Uninstall KB4565351 cumulative update
- 6 Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
- 7 Continue Reading:
Let’s see what this update has to offer us. This will give us a good insight into why this update is important and when it is optimal for installation.
What’s new in KB4565351
As per Microsoft Security Response Center, a total of 259 vulnerabilities have been addressed for Windows 10 Version 1909, and a total of 256 for Windows 10 Version 1903. These are inclusive of the 32-bit, 64-bit and ARM64 based systems.
9 of the vulnerabilities for version 1909 addressed are critical, all of which address remote code execution without authentication. Other significant matters addressed include elevation of privilege and information disclosure.
For version 1903, 8 of the vulnerabilities addressed are critical, all of which address remote code execution without authentication. Other significant matters addressed include elevation of privilege and information disclosure.
You may dig deeper into the details of the vulnerabilities addressed by Microsoft by downloading the respective excel sheet below.
Fixed security vulnerabilities in KB4565351 for Windows 10 Version 1909.xlsx (8.9 KiB, 269 hits)
Fixed security vulnerabilities in KB4565351 for Windows 10 Version 1903.xlsx (8.9 KiB, 237 hits)
The highlights of this update are:
- Improves security when using Microsoft Edge Legacy and Internet Explorer
- Improves security when using input devices and peripherals, such as keyboards, mouse USB drives, etc.
- Improve security when performing basic Windows operations.
- Updates for verification of usernames and passwords.
Since Windows 10 Version 1909 and Version 1903 share the same core operating system and files, improvements in one automatically affect the other. Some of the improvements and fixes in KB4565351 are:
- Addresses an issue with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that allow single sign-on authentication when an app does not have the Enterprise Authentication capability. Applications may begin to prompt users to provide additional credentials with the release of CVE-2020-1509.
- Security protocols have been updated for many of the products, such as Microsoft Scripting Engine, Internet Explorer, Windows Graphics, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Kernel, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, etc.
For more elaborate information on KB4565351, checkout this Microsoft help page.
Install KB4565351 using Windows Update
The size of the update for both the versions 1909 and 1903 is around 395MB. It should take around 6 minutes to install this update, including restarting the computer.
If you are missing any previous updates, installing KB4565351 will install all the security fixes included in all previous updates.
To install this update using Windows Update, please go to Windows Settings –> Update & Security –> Windows Update. In the right-hand pane, click on the Check for updates button.
You will then be able to see the update. Press Download and then Install to begin the installation.
Download KB4565351 Offline installers
These updates can also be installed on any computer having Windows 10 Version 1909 or Version 1903, without having an internet connection. Download the offline installers below as per your requirement:
For Windows 10 Version 1909
For Windows 10 Version 1903
To install the update, simply run the downloaded MSU file and Windows will automatically install the cumulative update.
You can check out your current Windows build by going to Run and then type winver.
To download any other updates related to KB4565351, please check Microsoft Catalog.
Although Microsoft is not aware of any known issues with this update yet, then again, it has been a little over 24 hours at the time this article is being written.
However, upon further investigation, an error was reported by a user at GitHub that the update KB4565351 “breaks the terminal.” The error displayed indicates that the environment does not recognize the user profile and considers it invalid. The user also claims that uninstalling the update has fixed the error.
Nonetheless, no other users have claimed of such, or any other issues as of yet.
Uninstall KB4565351 cumulative update
Although no significant issues have been reported, here is a quick guide to uninstall the update KB4565351 if necessary:
Uninstall KB4565351 using Windows Update History tool
- Go to Windows Settings (Windows key + i) –> Update & Security –> Windows Update.
- From the right-hand pane, click on View Update History.
- Now click on Uninstall updates.
- Select Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4565351) and press the Uninstall button.
Uninstall KB4565351 using command-line
You can also delete the update by entering several commands in the Command Prompt. Here is how:
- Open Command Prompt (Run –> cmd)
- Run the following command:
wmic qfe list brief /format:table
- This will show all the updates installed on the computer. Make sure KB4565351 is on the list.
- To uninstall the update, run the following command
wusa /uninstall /kb:4565351
Restart the computer once the update is uninstalled.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup