Microsoft has just recently released a new update KB4579311 for Windows 10 v20H2 Insiders on the Beta and Release Preview channels. This is a small fixture update addressing a few issues that were previously recognized in the last build 19042.541.
Installing the update KB4579311 will change your current Windows 10 20H2 build to 19042.572.
Table of contents
What’s new in KB4579311
The release update does not introduce any new features and is simply an update to address known and identified issues. However, the list is rather small when compared to the other updates rolled out by Microsoft over the last couple of months. Here is a list of the addressed issues:
- The issue with privilege elevation in win32k has been addressed.
- When a Group Policy has been configured to delete cached profiles, an issue with the automatic deletion of critical files and folders from %systemroot%\system32 has been taken care of.
- An issue with the null ports using the user interface has been fixed.
- Several security patches have been updated such as for Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Virtualization, Windows Authentication, Windows Kernel, and Microsoft Graphics Component.
How to install Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19042.572
If you are subscribed to the Windows Insider Program Beta or Release Preview channels, then you shall automatically receive the new update through Windows Updates. However, if you are anxious to install the update without waiting, here is what you can do.
- Navigate to the following location:
Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update
- Now click on Check for updates on the right side and the computer will start scanning for any newly available updates.
- When scanned, click on Download now and the installation should begin.
Unfortunately, no standalone installation ISOs are available for Windows 10 20H2 with this build.
Microsoft has still not acknowledged any known issues or faults with this update.
How to rollback/uninstall Windows 10 Insider Preview Build
You cannot delete the new update as the traditional update is removed. However, you can still rollback to the last build of Windows 10 within the next 10 days after the installation of the new build.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.789 for Beta and Release Preview Channels – KB4598291
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H2 Cumulative Build 19042.746 (KB4598242)
- Microsoft releases Windows 10 20H2 Insider update KB4577063 (Build 19042.541)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20215 (KB4578846)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20251 Comes With Lots Of Fixes