On October’s Patch Tuesday, Windows 10 Version 2004 comes with a new update, KB4579311. This patch should be automatically installed on all registered devices through Windows Update.
After installing the KB4579311 cumulative update, the build number for Windows 10 Version 2004 will be 19041.572.
This update generally focuses on security, such as improving it when using Microsoft Office products or performing general day-to-day tasks. It also includes updates to verify usernames and passwords.
Let’s see what this update has to offer us.
What’s new in KB4579311
The KB4579311 is a security update that addresses a total of 49 vulnerabilities, out of which 7 are deemed critical for the system. These mostly address the Remote Code Execution vulnerability.
You may dig deeper into the details of the vulnerabilities addressed by Microsoft by downloading the excel sheet below.
Fixed Security Vulnerabilities in KB4579311 for Windows 10 Version 2004 (6.7 KiB, 156 hits)
The highlights of this update are:
- Includes updates for improving security when using Microsoft Office products.
- Includes updates for security when performing basic operations in Windows.
- Includes updates for verification of usernames and passwords.
Here is a list of security improvements and fixes from knowledgebase released by Microsoft.
- The issue with privilege elevation in win32k has been addressed.
- When a Group Policy has been configured to delete cached profiles, an issue with the automatic deletion of critical files and folders from %systemroot%\system32 has been taken care of.
- An issue with the null ports using the user interface has been fixed.
- Several security patches have been updated such as for Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Virtualization, Windows Authentication, Windows Kernel, and Microsoft Graphics Component.
Install KB4579311 using Windows Update
The size of this update is around 347MB. It is recommended to download and install it when there is less traffic on your network, and the computer’s resources are less occupied.
As this is a cumulative update, only installing KB4579311 would install all previous pending updates.
To install the update using the Windows Update feature, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the following:
Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Updates
- Click on Check for updates.
- Once the scan is complete, click on Download to download and install the update.
The update will begin to download and install, and should be completed shortly.
Download KB4579311 Offline installers
The update can also be installed on any computer having Windows 10 Version 2004 without having an internet connection. Download the offline installers below:
To download any other updates related to KB4579311, please check the Microsoft Catalog.
To install the update, simply run the downloaded MSU file and Windows will automatically install the cumulative update.
You can check out your current Windows build by going to Run and then type winver.
Known issues in KB4579311
Just like any other update, this one has its issues as well. Microsoft is already aware of a few concerns that this update might bring to some of its users.
Users of the Microsoft Input Method Editor (IME) for Chinese and Japanese languages might experience some problems, such as not being able to enter the text, or receive unexpected results when typing. However, Microsoft has already been working on a workaround for this problem.
Moreover, another problem that some users might face after downloading this particular update is not being able to install third-party drivers. Users may be prompted with “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software.” This is because Windows now requires a properly formatted and signed catalog file with the driver. If so, users would need to contact their device manufacturer and ask them to update their drivers accordingly.
Uninstall KB4579311 cumulative update
If you find that you cannot work with the new update installed, you can always uninstall it whenever you like. Here is a guide on how to uninstall a cumulative Windows update.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup