This is March Patch Tuesday, and Microsoft has released updates (KB5000802) designed to improve the security and stability of Windows 10 version 20H2 and 2004. After installing this update, your Windows build will be 19042.867 and 19041.867 respectively.
Since this is a cumulative update, you don’t need to install any previous missing updates. Installing this update will install all patching that are missing from the Operating System.
- 1 What’s new in KB5000802?
- 2 Improvements and fixes
- 3 Known issues and workarounds
- 4 Download KB5000802 cumulative update
- 5 Uninstall KB5000802 using command-line
- 6 Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
What’s new in KB5000802?
According to the Microsoft Security Response Center, a total of 80 vulnerabilities were addressed for both Windows 10 Version 20H2 and Version 2004. The numbers cover 32-bit, 64-bit, and ARM64 based platforms.
While going through the vulnerabilities log, it seems like most of the vulnerabilities are related to elevation of privileges. This can be a serious security issue if not addressed. It becomes increasingly important to update and patch your system as soon as possible to ensure its security. Some other vulnerabilities fixes include remote code execution, security feature bypass, denial of service, information disclosure and remote code execution. You can go through the complete list of vulnerability fixes on the MSRC website.
Improvements and fixes
The highlights of KB5000802 for Windows 10 are:
- Installs updates to ensure that Windows performs essential tasks in a secure manner.
- Updates to Microsoft Office products to improve security.
- Updates security for the Windows user interface.
Improvements and fixes include:
This update fixes an issue related to print jobs remaining in pending state and will remain in this error state until the spooler service is restarted. This issues is specifically indicated when print jobs are submitted to “FILE” port.
Security updates to the Windows Shell, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Apps, Windows User Account Control (UAC), Windows Virtualization, the Windows Kernel, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Legacy, and Windows Media.
Known issues and workarounds
System and user certificates may be lost when updating from Windows 10 Version 1909 or earlier to the latest version. If you have already encountered this issue, you will need to rollback your previous version of Windows. You may need to use this trick to rollback Windows after 10 days.
Download KB5000802 cumulative update
Install KB5000802 using Windows Update
To install this update using Windows Update, please go to
Start Menu –> Settings –> Update & Security –> Windows Update. In the right-hand pane, click on the Check for updates button. You will then be able to see the update and should install it automatically.
Download offline installers for KB5000802
These updates can also be installed on any computer that has the relevant version of Windows 10, without having an internet connection. Download the offline installers below as per your Windows 10 version and platform requirements:
For Windows 10 Version 20H2
For Windows 10 Version 2004
To install the update, simply run the downloaded MSU file and Windows will automatically install the cumulative update.
You can check out your current Windows build by launching Run and then typing winver.
To download any other updates related to any of the above, please check the Microsoft Catalog.
Uninstall KB5000802 using command-line
Since we have installed this update using Windows Update, it will not be listed in the list of updates but you can see it in the command line:
- Open Command Prompt (Run –> cmd)
- Run the following command:
wmic qfe list brief /format:table
- This will show all the updates installed on the computer. Make sure the relevant updates are on the list.
- To uninstall the update, run the following command
wusa /uninstall /kb:5000802
Restart your computer once the update is uninstalled.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Download KB5000808 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1909 18363.1440
- Download KB4601319 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 20H2, 2004 And 21H1
- Download And Install KB4565351 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For August 2020 [Version 1909, 1903]
- Download And Install KB4566782 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For August 2020 [Version 2004]
- Download And Install KB4556799 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For May 2020 [Version 1909, 1903]