Microsoft has released Window 10 November 2021 (21H2) Update for the stable channel. Along with this, they have also released the update KB5007253 to the Release Preview channel for the Insiders. This update is applicable on Windows 10 versions 21H1 and 21H2.
There are no new features in this update. However, it does include a plethora of fixes for the operating system. If you are on Windows 10 v21H1, installing this update will upgrade your OS build to 19043.1379. For version 21H2, your OS build will upgrade to 19044.1379.
Let us continue to see what this new update offers, and how you can install it.
Improvements and Fixes
As we said, this update only offers a number of fixes for the OS. Below is a list of improvements and fixes implemented in KB5007253:
- An issue that affects the opening of the SearchFilterHost.exe process has been fixed.
- An issue that causes searchindexer.exe to stop working and create duplication profile names has been fixed.
- Support for the cancellation of daylight savings time for the Republic of Fiji for 2021 has been added.
- A problem preventing the enrollment status page (ESP) from displaying the error message or remediation options after a failure has been fixed.
–cdargument to wsl.exe to specify a Windows or Linux path as a starting directory for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has been added.
- An issue that fails to apply machine Group Policy objects automatically to devices on a domain having certain processors has been addressed.
- An option has been added to configure an Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) that is less than 576 bytes on an interface.
- An issue that fails to provide an event description for the System Center – Operations Manager has been taken care of.
- An issue that incorrectly renders some variable fonts has been fixed.
- An issue that may occasionally cause the 32-bit version of Microsoft Excel to stop working on devices with certain processors when exporting to PDF.
- An issue that displays glyphs at the wrong angle when you use the Meiryo UI font and other vertical fonts has been addressed.
- The onunload events has been enabled to create pop-up windows in Microsoft Edge Internet Explorer mode.
- An issue that affects predictive pre-rendering in Microsoft Edge Internet Explorer mode has been fixed.
- An issue that causes the Internet Explorer to stop working has been addressed.
- An issue that causes the Internet Explorer to stop working while using the Input Method Editor (IME) to insert elements has been addressed
- An issue that causes the Settings app to unexpectedly close after uninstalling a new font has been fixed.
- An issue that affects the User Interface (UI) for renaming files when using folder view in File Explorer has been fixed.
- A memory leak in ctfmon.exe that occurs when switching between different edit clients has been fixed.
- A known issue that causes error codes 0x000006e4, 0x0000007c, or 0x00000709 when connecting to a remote printer that is shared on a Windows print server has been taken care of.
- An issue that turns off screen capture and recording functionalities on the Windows Game Bar because of a service failure has been fixed.
- An issue that might cause the return value of GetCommandLineA() to be lowercase in some developer scenarios has been addressed.
- An issue that might cause the decryption of a file that is on a remote server to fail has been addressed.
- An issue that prevents you from enabling BitLocker on a thinly provisioned Virtual Machine (VM) as been taken care of.
- A problem that causes the Windows Defender Application Control to incorrectly compare two file version numbers ahas been fixed.
- The credentials for Azure Active Directory (AAD) Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) users in Quick Assist have been enabled.
- An issue that occasionally prevents Quick Assist users from using the full screen view after they start a remote assistance session has been fixed.
- An issue preventing the applications that you use often from appearing on the Start Menu and prevents you from configuring them to appear on the Start Menu using a Group Policy has been fixed.
- An issue that causes the syncing of desktop settings to fail while using the built-in User Experience Virtualization (UE-V) template has been addressed.
- An issue that prevents Failover Clustering from updating Domain Name Server (DNS) records has been fixed.
- An issue that prevents your device from starting up becoming unresponsive because of licensing API calls has been fixed.
How to Install KB5007253
Since this is an Insider release, the update is not yet available through Microsoft Catalog for a standalone installation. You can, however, install it using Windows Update. Before that, you must make sure that your device is running Windows 10 version 21H2 or 21H1, and subscribed to the Release Preview channel.
Download and install Windows 10 v21H2 ISO now!
To install KB5007253, open the Settings app and click Windows Update on the left. It will now scan for any pending updates and begin to download 2021-11 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21Hx for x64-based systems (KB5007253).
When the download completes and the status becomes “Pending install,” click Install now.
When the installation completes, click Restart Now to finalize it.
When the reboot completes, the update should be successfully installed. You can confirm that it has been installed successfully by typing in winver in Run and checking your operating system’s build.
Rollback/remove Windows 10 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Microsoft Republishes KB5007253 for Windows 10 v21H1 and v21H2
- Cumulative Preview Update KB5006738 for Windows 10 v21H2 and v21H1
- Download Windows 10 20H2 Cumulative Update Preview Build 19042.608 (KB4580364)
- Download KB4598291 For Windows 10 Cumulative Preview Builds 19042.789 (v20H2) and 19041.789 (v2004)
- Windows 10 KB5005611 for v21H2 and v21H1