Like all other security-related items in Windows 11, Microsoft seems to be revamping the Windows Defender experience for Windows 11 as well as Apple and Android platforms. On the Microsoft Store, a new Microsoft Defender Preview can be downloaded and installed on any Windows 11 system.
The new Microsoft Defender Preview still seems to be in the very early stages of development. The app will not be usable if you install it on your system now. It requires a Microsoft employee ID to be able to login and run the application.
Looking at the application, it seems that Microsoft intends to separate the security components of Microsoft Defender. Currently, the Defender app (accessible from the Settings app) includes an antivirus, firewall, app & browser control and family safety options.
The remaining device security options have already been made mandatory like TPM 2.0, secure boot etc.
If you want to install Defender Preview right now and login with your Microsoft ID, you will get the following error:
Unable to log into Microsoft Defender Preview. Please ensure you have subscribed to the service.Microsoft Store
The error suggests that Microsoft Defender will be offered as a service rather than a feature built into Windows 11. It would be great if the same service could be used for Windows Server 2022.
The description of the app suggests that Microsoft Defender will be offered on multiple platforms including Windows, Apple and Android. However, there is no mention of Apple or Android in the system requirements section.
To install Microsoft Defender Preview now, go to the Microsoft Store using the following link:
Make sure you satisfy all the system requirements before installing the security software.
- Supported OS Versions: Xbox, Windows 10 Version 19041.0 or higher (including Windows 10 Version 2004, 20H2, 21H1, 21H2 and Windows 11)
- Architecture: 32-bit and 64-bit
- Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse
My initial feeling is that Microsoft is trying to bring its security ecosystem to all the devices where we can login using the Microsoft ID. That way, we will be able to centrally manage not only the device settings but also the security of each of our devices. Anyway, it is still very early to guess anything as Microsoft has not spoken anything about the new Microsoft Defender Preview app. What are your thoughts on the app?
- How to Run Android Apps on Windows 11 Right Now (Without Emulator)
- Download Microsoft Edge for Windows 11/10, Windows 7, MacOS, Android And iOS
- Download Microsoft Edge 88 With Password Generator and Transparent Privacy Controls
- Get Avast For Business Free Antivirus With Windows Server Protection
- Microsoft SQL Server All Versions Direct Download Links [2008, 2012, 2014, 2016]