Norton ConnectSafe Alternatives
Norton ConnectSafe is a free public DNS service, probably one of the best when it comes to security. The threats were blocked at DNS level to keep the users safe even when the users were not running an antivirus on their systems. Since Norton ConnectSafe is scheduled to be retired on November 15th, 2018, we will suggest some other Norton ConnectSafe alternatives for a safer browsing experience.
Norton ConnectSafe public DNS service was introduced by Symantec in 2010 with the name Symantec ConnectSafe. Later in 2014 it was renamed to Norton ConnectSafe. ConnectSafe makes use of Norton Safe Web for crowd sourced security where users can report a site to be safe or not safe.
The biggest advantage of using a secure DNS service is that it will scan for threats when the computer requests for resources on the Internet. If a threat is detected, it is blocked even before reaching the user’s computer. This enhances system speed and overall browsing experience.
Let’s talk about some Norton DNS alternatives which will make your browsing experience safer.
Norton ConnectSafe DNS Alternatives
Using Google PublicDNS will change your settings for DNS server from Internet Service Providers to Google PublicDNS. Google PublicDNS provides some flavor of security as service logs are saved for 1 to 2 days for troubleshooting purposes. While in permanent logs personal information is minimized and most of the information is deleted after 14 days.
- In order to set Google Public DNS on the computer go to Control Panel
- Click Network and Internet ->Network and Sharing Center and click on Change adapter settings.
- You will see a screen with the network connection.Select the connection. i-e if you selected wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection and then go to Properties. If the password or any other dialogue box appears provide the requires password .
- Select the Networking tab and then double click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) .
- Click Advanced and select the DNS tab.
- Note down any DNS provided there for future reference and remove them from the window and press OK.
- Go to Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server and replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
- For IPv4: 126.96.36.199 and/or 188.8.131.52
- For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
- Now run the following command in command prompt:
OpenNDS is a DNS service provided by the Cisco which is most secure and reliable. It improves the performance and blocks all the phishing sites. Commercial plan include the feature of viewing the history of your 1 year Internet browsing and restrict access to some specific websites. This feature is included in OpenDNS Family Shield and OpenDNS Home but the duration of locked down environment i-e to specific websites is different. It even works on mobile devices.
The preferred DNS is 184.108.40.206 and the secondary DNS is 220.127.116.11.
For setting it on other devices like home router , Servers, Smart devices you can check the settings here.
The biggest benefit of OpenDNS is that you can configure and block access to website categories not suitable to your home or office. You can choose the categories or even blacklist or whitelist websites in the content filtering configuration panel. The only caveat is if you are configuring OpenDNS on a router, you will either need a router which supports OpenDNS or a router with static IP address. Otherwise, the settings will be disabled once the router IP changes.
Quad9 is a IBM owned publicDNS service which has been designed to block malware and threats .This uses threat intelligence from leading cyber security companies . The analysis provided by them provides a perspective on what websites are safe and what sites have potential threats. You will not allowed to enter the web site which contains the malware.
The same method needs to be followed as used fro Google PublicDNS. The preferred DNS server is 18.104.22.168 and the alternate DNS server is 22.214.171.124
The organizations can update the DNS settings in the central DHCP server which will update all clients. No action is needed at end devices.
Cloudflare is the fastest publicDNS which is used for managing IP address allocation for the Asia Pacific and Oceania regions. The main concern is on performance and privacy. Even if you visit a encrypted sites by ISP, your identity is still saved . But using Cloudflare can solve this problem. The logs are maintained for 24 hour and then get deleted. So your privacy is maintained over the Internet.
The preferred public DNS for IPv4 is 126.96.36.199 and the alternative is 188.8.131.52
While the prefeered for IPv6 is 2606:4700:4700::1111 and alternative is 2606:4700:4700::1001
The iPhone, Andriod, Linux ,MAC setup instructions can be seen here.
Comodo Secure DNS is another DNS service which is not very popular but is very effective when it comes to security and malware blocking.
Domain Name System DNS is an essential part of computing if you are connected any kind of network. It’s better to use a secure DNS which can shield off Internet threats from your computer. Always choose a DNS service which has built-in malware blocking. This will keep you safe over the Internet.
If you are a network administrator and use local recursive DNS, using a secure public DNS will make sure that your network remains free from Internet viruses. This is especially when you have limited control over your network computers.
There are several other PublicDNS but these are some of the best options available. You have to look what do you exactly need if you are more concerned about malicious sited and viruses then choose the DNS according to that. So which PublicDNS you have choose to make your Internet more secure?
Must Read Articles:
- Enable Family Protection In Windows 10 Using DNS Angel
- ESET 11 (2018) Offline Installers Direct Download Links
- How To Open RDP Port To Allow Remote Desktop Access To Your System
- Download Kaspersky Antivirus + Internet Security + Total Security
- 10 Best Free Parental Control Software 2019