Uninstall Windows 8.1 August Update Causing System Errors
Recently Microsoft had released an update to Windows 8.1 which was being called as Windows 8.1 August Update or Windows 8.1 Update 2. It was released on 12th of August, 2014. A few days have passed and Microsoft has pulled the manual download links to Windows 8.1 August Update.
Most of the users who have Windows Update turned on will automatically get this update and will be installed automatically. Please note that this update will probably require a system restart before it is applied. Microsoft has been getting complaints of severe system problems caused after installing this update. All this started happening after this month’s Patch Tuesday.
In addition to Windows 8.1 Update 2, three more updates have been creating problems for the users. The reported problems include improper rendering of fonts, blue screen of death or black screen on system restart etc.
If you have installed these updates manually or automatically Windows Update and you are having problems like system crashes or improper font rendering, you will need to uninstall these four updates in order to make your system stable again. Let’s look at ways about how to uninstall Windows 8.1 August update along with other problematic updates.
Uninstalling through Windows Update
If you can boot your computer and log on to your Windows, then it’ll be easy to uninstall these updates. Otherwise, you will need to boot your computer into Safe Mode and then uninstall these updates. The following updates need to be uninstalled as recommended by Microsoft.
- 2982791 MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014
- 2970228 Update to support the new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows
- 2975719 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2975331 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012
For uninstalling these updates, follow the instructions below:
Step 1: Go to Control Panel –> System and Security –> Windows Update
Step 2: Under left side menu at the bottom under “See also”, click on “Installed Updates”
Step 3: Now you have to search for the following to find the required updates for uninstallation:
Please note that if you don’t put KB before the numbers, Windows Search won’t be able to find the required updates for you and you will have to go through the list of updates manually.
Microsoft recommends deleting the font cache file and the registry values of the problematic fonts for fixing the problems created by these updates. You may follow the exact steps of deleting the cache and registry values here.
Please note that not all users are having problems with these updates. If you are not having problems after installing these updates, then you should leave them alone until we hear from Microsoft again. Microsoft is still investigating the problems caused by these Windows updates and should be able to come up with better fixes very soon.
Must Read Articles:
- Download KB4048954 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 November 2017
- How To Stop A Specific Update From Installing In Windows 10
- KB4039396 For Windows 10 Build 14393.1607 Direct Download Links
- Download KB4343885 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1703 August 2018
- Download KB4048955 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 November 2017