Windows 10 ISO images are available for download for everyone. Microsoft makes the ISO files available so that the users can download and clean install/upgrade Windows without any issues. Microsoft gives multiple ways to download and install the latest version of Windows. We will discuss some of the ways in detail in this article.
Windows 10 setup comes in the form of an ISO file. An ISO is a single file which contains all Windows 10 installation media. The ISO file can be burned on a USB drive or a DVD drive to make the drive bootable. You can also extract the contents of the ISO file and install Windows from extracted files. But this limits your ability to clean install the Operating System. You will only be able to install the OS without formatting the primary C drive.
There are two types of ISO files. One is the normal Windows 10 ISO file which contains all consumer-level editions of Windows including Home, Pro, etc. The second type of ISO is the enterprise version of Windows. You can choose the Windows 10 ISO download according to your requirements.
- 1 Microsoft Windows 10 Download
- 2 Latest Windows 10 technical specs (1903)
- 3 System requirements
- 4 Product key and installation
Microsoft Windows 10 Download
Now let’s discuss Windows download methods.
Download Windows 10 using Update Assistant
If you are already using Windows on your system, this is the easiest method to upgrade to the latest version right now. The update assistant does not actually download the ISO file for you, it will upgrade your Operating System to the latest version automatically. You need to have an active internet connection until the update assistant completes the process.
Follow the steps given below to upgrade your Operating System.
- Download Windows Update Assistant from here [6 MB]
- Run the executable and click on the Update Now button.
- The assistant will check the compatibility of the latest Windows version with your hardware. This should be fine if you are using a modern PC.
- Click the Next button to start the download. It will take some time for the download to complete and then installation will start automatically.
The system may ask you to restart for proceeding with the installation.
Download Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tool
If you want to do a new installation of Windows 10 then you can download the Windows 10 Windows Media Creation tool. This will automatically download Windows and create a bootable media like USB or DVD for you. The media creation tool acts as Windows 10 download tool plus the bootable USB builder. You can perform a clean install as well as upgrade your current installation.
Follow the steps below:
- Download Windows 10 Media Creation tool from here.
- Accept the License Agreement.
- Select Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC. The first option of Upgrade PC now will do the same thing as Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
- Select Language, Edition and Architecture from the next screen.
- Select the installation media or if you haven’t plugged in the USB flash drive or DVD, you may download the bootable ISO file.
Download Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft without Media Creation Tool
You can easily any version of Windows 10 from this Microsoft download link. The problem with this link is that if you open the link on a Windows 10 PC, it will automatically detect and force the user to download the media creation tool first. The media creation tool can download the ISO but it is not a very pleasant experience. If you want to use a download manager, then you will need the direct download links.
Here, we will discuss how to download Windows 10 ISO directly without Media Creation Tool. This method is useful especially when you want to download the ISO in any other language of choice other than English.
The supported languages include the following:
- English (United States)
- English (United Kingdom)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
- French (Canada)
- Spanish (Latin America)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Let’s first understand the logic. Microsoft’s media creation tool is only for Windows. If you open the same page using another device like Android, macOS, etc., Microsoft will give you the download links. We can trick Microsoft into thinking that we are not using Windows. This can be done if we are using Google Chrome or Firefox or even Safari. We will only discuss how to do this in Chrome and Firefox only.
For Chrome, follow the instructions below:
- Open Microsoft Windows 10 download webpage in Google Chrome.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + i to open the Inspect panel
- Press the three vertical dots icon at the top right corner of the inspect window.
- Go to More Tools –> Network Conditions.
- Under User agent, uncheck select automatically.
- The above step will enable a drop-down list just below the checkbox. Select anything other than Windows. For example, I chose Chrome OS.
- Without closing the inspect panel, hit the reload button or press F5. This will re-open the same Windows 10 download page but with a drop-down menu to select the edition of Windows ISO you want to download.
- Select the edition of Windows 10 to download (normally the top one which is the latest) and press Confirm button.
- Next, you will need to select the product language. Choose which language you want to download the ISO in and click the Confirm button.
- You will be provided two buttons on the next screen.
Click on the appropriate link and the download will start immediately.
Please note that these download links will be valid for 24-hours only. So you need to complete the download process before the expiration time.
If you are using Firefox, you can use the user agent switcher addon to change the user agent.
Latest Windows 10 technical specs (1903)
Complete OS Name: Windows 10 May 2019 Update 32-bit/64-bit Build 18362.116 (Comes with 25 languages at the moment)
These are the file names for the English version of Windows 10 which is the default. The file names will change according to the language you have selected for download.
File size: The ISO file size varies between 3 GB and 4 GB according to the architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) selected and the language of the download.
Release date: Initial Windows 10 release was in March 2015. The latest version 1903 was released on 10th May 2019.
License cost: Windows 10 May 2019 Update is free for everyone who is already using Windows 10.
Expiry: The latest version of Windows 10 Version 1903 will expire on 8th December 2020.
Upgrade options after expiry: You will be forced to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 after expiry. You can also block the new update if you want.
Updates: Microsoft is following a rapid release cycle so you should expect a frequent updating of Windows 10 TP using Windows Update.
The minimum requirements for installing Windows 10 are the same as Windows 8 or 8.1.
Processor: 1 GHz
Memory (RAM): 1 GB (For 32 Bit), 2 GB (For 64 Bit)
Minimum Space: 32 GB Free Hard Disk Space
You need to have supported Windows 10 hardware in order to install Windows 10.
Product key and installation
You may use the following product key for Windows 10 installation and activation:
You may burn the downloaded ISO file to a DVD or make a bootable USB drive in order to install Windows 10. If you want to upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10, then you should mount the ISO file and run the setup from within Windows Desktop.
There are some basic questions from users which I’m addressing here. If you have any questions regarding Windows 10 download, you can leave a comment below.
Can the downloaded ISO file be used for recovery purpose?
Yes the ISO can be used for troubleshooting and recovery.
How much time will it take to install Windows 10?
It depends upon the system hardware. Normally, it takes between 15 to 30 minutes for the installation process to complete.
How long does it take to download Windows 10 ISO?
It depends upon the Internet connection bandwidth. Since all our mentioned links are from Microsoft servers, it should not take long if you have a good Internet connection.
How much space should the USB/DVD drive have to make a bootable image?
At least 8GB storage device is required for making a bootable Windows 10 media.
I hope you will enjoy the latest version of Windows 10 as much as I do. Feedback from you will be highly appreciated. Please leave a comment below and let us know about what you think.
Must Read Articles:
- Windows 10 Media Creation Tool For Version 1903
- Download Windows 10 November 2019 Update (Version 1909) ISO Images [All Languages]
- Windows 10 Upgrade Notifications Not Showing In Windows 7/8/8.1
- Download Windows Media Center for Windows 10
- Download Windows 10 Version 1903 Enterprise Edition Now