It is the 4th Tuesday of the month, and this means that it is time for Microsoft to release the Type D optional non-security update for its supported Windows operating systems. Microsoft has published KB5027293 for Windows 10 22H2. This is an optional update, which means it will only install if you allow it manually.
If you opt not to install this update, most of the fixes and improvements included in this update will be applied automatically when the next month’s Patch Tuesday updates are installed. However, if you do install it, your operating system’s build will be upgraded to 19045.3155.
KB5027293 introduces minor features and improvements to the Windows 10 operating system. The highlights of this update are that it fixes issues with the on-screen keyboard, and makes several improvements to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
You can choose to install this update on your Windows 10 PC today using the direct download link below, or through Windows Update, or wait for July’s Patch Tuesday release when the update will install automatically.
This page covers
KB5027293 Release Summary
- KB Article: KB5027293
- OS Version: Windows 10 version 22H2
- Build: 19045.3155
- Size: 755.2 MB (64-Bit)
- Release Date: 28th June 2023
Fixes and Improvements in KB5027293
The following list of fixes and improvements have been implemented with this release:
- This update adds many new features and improvements to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
- With this update, you can now authenticate across Microsoft clouds. This feature also satisfies Conditional Access checks if they are needed.
- This update improves several simplified Chinese fonts and the Microsoft Pinyin Input Method Editor (IME).
- This update addresses an issue that affects a scheduled monthly task. It might not run on time if the next occurrence happens when daylight savings time occurs.
- This update addresses an issue that affects all the registry settings under the Policies paths. They might be deleted. This occurs when you do not rename the local temporary user policy file during Group Policy processing.
- This update affects the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). It improves its reliability.
- This update addresses an issue that affects .msi files. A minor update is not installed.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Spooler service. It stops working. This issue occurs when you print using a certain workspace.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a tib.sys driver. It does not load. This occurs when HyperVisor-protected Code Integrity (HVCI) is enabled.
- This update addresses an issue that affects NCryptGetProperty().
- This update addresses an issue that affects HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
- This update addresses an issue that affects those who enable the “Smart Card is Required for Interactive Logon” account option.
- This update addresses an issue that affects HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. You can now set and maintain the correct default permissions for this directory path. When the permissions are wrong, the Start menu, search, and Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) authentication fails.
With these fixes and improvements to Windows 10, there are still also some known issues with this update.
Known issues in KB5027293
An issue with the standalone (clean) installation of Windows 10 with this update is causing Microsoft Edge Legacy to be removed. However, it is not being replaced by the new Chromium-based Edge.
This occurs only when Windows has a custom offline media or an ISO image installed that does not include the 29th March 2021 SSU update. Microsoft suggests that you either install the March SSU update through slipstreaming or simply update an existing OS through Windows Update, so you will not be facing this issue.
Alternatively, you can simply download and install the new Microsoft Edge if you have already encountered this problem.
Download and install Windows 10 KB5027293
This optional non-security update can be installed through Windows Update and standalone installers.
We have given the direct download links to the standalone installers below, using which you can install the update on your Windows 10 version 22H2 PC, or you can simply update to the latest build using Windows Update through the given guide below.
To install the update, simply run the downloaded MSU file and Windows will automatically install the update. To download any other updates related to any of the above, please check the Microsoft Catalog.
Once ensured you have the right OS version, perform the following steps to install KB5027293:
Navigate to the following:
Settings app >> Update and Security >> Windows Update
Here, click “Check for updates.”
Click “Download and install” under the available optional update.
You will see the following update available under Optional quality update available:
2023-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64/x86-based Systems (KB5027293)
Click “Download and install” under it.
Once the update is downloaded and installed, click “Restart Now.”
Once the computer reboots, the update will be successfully installed. To confirm this, check the updated build number by typing in “winver” in the Run Command box.
Rollback/Remove Windows 10 Cumulative Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Block KB5027293 from installing
Although this is an optional update, which means that it won’t install without you manually pressing any buttons. However, you can completely block it from installing, both temporarily or permanently, using these steps:
Download the “Show or hide updates” tool from Microsoft.
Run the utility and click Next to start the scanning process.
Next, click the “Hide updates” button.
Select the updates you want to block and click Next.
This automatically hides the update from Windows Update and it will not be installed during the next update process.
Press the Close button.
If you want to unhide or show hidden updates, run the tool again and select “Show hidden updates” instead of “Hide updates.” The rest of the process is the same.
Optional preview updates are published so they can be tested by the end users. Upon feedback, Microsoft may or may not make changes to the update before releasing it for every Windows 10 22H2 user in next month’s Patch Tuesday update.
After having tested KB5027293, we believe that it is safe for installation. However, if your Windows device is critical, or part of a production environment, it is always safer to install the matured Windows update.
Windows 10 optional non-security update history
|KB Article||OS Versions||Build||Release Date||Significant Changes||Announcement|
|KB5031445||22H2||19045.3636||26-Oct-23||Fixes Outlook non-responsiveness, fixes WDAC, robocopy issues||Microsoft Announcement of KB5031445|
|KB5030300||22H2||19045.3516||26-Sep-23||– Improved search box experience|
– Animations to icons in news and interests
|Microsoft Announcement of KB5030300|
|KB5029331||22H2||19045.3393||22-Aug-23||– Improvements to location detection|
– Expands rollout of notification badging for Microsoft accounts
|Microsoft Announcement of KB5029331|
|KB5028244||22H2||19045.3271||25-Jul-23||-Fixes TDR error during gameplay|
– Audio and video device fixes
– Fix for VPN client connectivity issue
|Microsoft Announcement of KB5028244|
|KB5027293||22H2||19045.3155||27-Jun-23||– New features and improvements to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint|
– Several other fixes
|Microsoft Announcement of KB5027293|
|KB5026435||22H2||19045.3031||23-May-23||– Fixes issue with speech recognition, improves the search experience and shows up to 3 high-priority toast notifications.|
– Introduces a new issue with 32-bit apps; intermittent copying, attaching, and moving problems.
|Microsoft Announcement of KB5026435|
|KB5025297||22H2||19045.2913||25-Apr-23||Sync language and region settings to Microsoft account, a plethora of other fixes||Microsoft Announcement of KB5025297|
|KB5023773||22H2, 21H2, 20H2||1904X.2788||21-Mar-22||Fixes issues with USB printers||Microsoft Announcement of KB5023773|