The second Tuesday of the month is scheduled for Microsoft monthly updates for its products. This includes security fixes and enhancements for Microsoft products. March 2022 Patch Tuesday is on 8th March, 2022.
Microsoft has released updates for all supported versions of Windows 10, including Version 21H2, 21H1 and 20H2, Version 1909, Version 1809, Version 1607 and Version 1507. Some of these versions may be supported for the LTSC channel.
As discussed in the article about KB5011493 for Windows 11, all the above mentioned Windows 10 versions have received the same update.
Addresses a known issue that occurs when you attempt to reset a Windows device and its apps have folders that contain reparse data, such as Microsoft OneDrive or Microsoft OneDrive for Business. When you select Remove everything, files that have been downloaded or synced locally from Microsoft OneDrive might not be deleted. Some devices might take up to seven (7) days after you install this update to fully address the issue and prevent files from persisting after a reset. For immediate effect, you can manually trigger Windows Update Troubleshooter using the instructions in Windows Update Troubleshooter.Microsoft
There are also some known issues with this update. Known issues mean that the issues are known to Microsoft and will be fixed in the later releases of Windows Update.
- Devices with Windows installed from custom offline media or custom ISO images might have Microsoft Edge legacy removed, but the new Chromium-based Edge browser is not installed automatically. The easiest solution to this issue is to download and install Microsoft Edge manually.
- After installing the June 21, 2021 (KB5003690) update, some devices cannot install new updates, such as the July 6, 2021 (KB5004945) or later updates. You will receive the error message, “PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING”. You can use the workaround listed here.
- After installing this update, when connecting to devices in an untrusted domain using Remote Desktop, connections might fail to authenticate when using smart card authentication. You might receive the prompt, “Your credentials did not work. The credentials used to connect to [device name] did not work. Please enter new credentials.” and “The login attempt failed” in red. This issue can be resolved using Known Issue Rollback (KIR). More details on the resolution here.
This update will be available immediately on Windows Update, Windows Update for Business and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). You can go to the Windows Settings –> Windows Update to install the new update.
If you want to install this update on multiple computers, it’s best to download the standalone offline installer for this update, which is available through Microsoft Update Catalog. We are providing direct download links for your ease:
|Windows 10 Version||KB Article||Microsoft Catalog Link||OS Build|
|Version 21H2, 21H1, 20H2||KB5011487||Download||19044.1586, 19043.1586, 19042.1586|
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- April 2022 Patch Tuesday: Download KB5012599 Cumulative Update for Windows 10
- February 2022 Patch Tuesday: KB5010342 for Windows 10 21H2, 21H1, 20H2
- Download July 2022 Patch Tuesday Updates For Windows 10 (KB5015807)
- Download June 2022 Patch Tuesday Update For Windows 10 (KB5014699)
- Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB5008212 Released for 21H2, 21H1, 20H2, 2004