Microsoft has released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25115 to the Dev channel for Insiders. The release has been published from a different branch than usual (rs_prerelease), but Microsoft is not focusing on it anymore. The update includes one new feature and a few other improvements for the Windows 11 OS, which are discussed in detail down below.
Since the Beta channel has also been updated with a higher build (Build 22621), users can now no longer switch from Dev to Beta channel.
Since Microsoft has nearly finalized Windows 11 22H2 with this release in the Beta channel, any further features in the other Insider channels are meant for the next release, which will be Windows 11 Version 23H2 (which will be released the following year). Note that features and improvements may or may not be included in the final 23H2 release.
If you want to get on board the train to next year’s OS, you can install build 25115 right now using the given guide below. But before you do, let us discuss new features and improvements, as well as the known issues it accompanies.
Note: This release is not being offered for ARM64 devices at the moment.
Table of contents
New in Windows 11 Build 25115
This new feature is exactly what the name implies. Windows 11 users can now perform actions faster through inline suggestions. These suggestions will be offered by the OS, depending on what you have highlighted or copied. For example, if you copy a date, you will be advised to save an event in your calendar. If you copy a phone number, an inline suggestion will appear with the methods you can use to make a phone call.
Here are the in-depth details:
When copying the date and time, an inline light dismissible UI will appear suggesting you create a corresponding event in the calendar. When you select an option, the Calendar app will launch automatically to that specific event creation page and the date and time fields will be filled automatically as well.
Other Improvements and Fixes
Other changes and fixes have also been made with this flight:
- An issue related to loading the system tray icons in Settings >> Personalization >> Taskbar causing the Settings app to crash has been fixed.
- [File Explorer]
- An issue leading to Insiders seeing the error 0x800703E6 when copying files from Google Drive has been fixed.
- A change has been made to improve the performance of loading Home.
- An issue where if you had ever opened the context menu, Using the CTRL + ALT + DEL shortcut keys to cancel it would lead to explorer.exe crashing, has been mitigated.
- A sporadic explorer.exe crash when closing File Explorer windows has been addressed.
- An issue where if the Settings app is suspended, it could lock up explorer.exe in certain cases has been fixed
- Improvements have been made to the way the Narrator reads out the remaining space available in System >> Storage.
- [Task Manager]
- Some issues related to access key use in the Task Manager have been made.
- If the CPU reaches 100% utilization, the CPU column header should no longer unexpectedly become unreadable in dark mode.
- [Windows Security]
- An issue that could lead to Smart App Control unexpectedly blocking correctly signed applications has been addressed.
With these new features, improvements, and fixes, there are also several new known issues we think you should know about before upgrading to this build.
- Some games that use Easy Anti-Cheat may crash or cause your PC to bugcheck.
- [Live captions]
- When using certain apps in full-screen mode (e.g., video players), live captions may not appear.
- If some apps are positioned near the top of the screen and closed before live captions run, they will re-launch behind the live captions window positioned at the top. If you experience these issues, use the system menu (ALT + Spacebar) while the app has focus to move the app’s window further down.
How to Install Windows 11 Build 25115
To install this update, you need to be running Windows 11 and subscribed to the Dev channel. If you have enabled Windows updates, you will automatically get a “New features are ready to install” prompt.
If not, follow these steps to install Preview Build 25115:
Navigate to the Settings app and then click Windows Update on the left.
Here, click Check for updates on the right side of the window.
You will then see the following update available under Updates available to download:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 25115.1000 (rs_prerelease)
Click Download now.
The update will now begin to download and then install. Once complete, click Restart Now.
Once the computer restarts, you can verify that the OS has been updated by typing in winver in the Run Command box.
Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Windows 11 Insider Preview updates history
|Build||Release Date||Features added|
|Windows 11 Build 25227||19-Oct-22||Improvements to Windows Update management, pop-up trailer preview in Microsoft Store, monoline icons in widgets board.|
|Windows 11 Build 25217||6-Oct-22||Supports third-party widgets, new video calling experience in the taskbar, Simplified Chinese IME cloud suggestions, and Microsoft Store improvements|
|Windows 11 Build 25211||29-Sep-22||New Widget Settings and Widget Picker, New Outlook for Windows experience, Task Manager in the taskbar context menu|
|Windows 11 Build 25206||21-Sep-22||SMB authentication rate limiter and dynamic refresh rate|
|Windows 11 Build 25201||14-Sep-22||Expandable widgets board and sign-in option in Game Pass widget|
|Windows 11 Build 25197||8-Sep-22||Tablet-optimized taskbar restored, animated icons introduced in the Settings app, system tray icons updated|
|Windows 11 Build 25193||1-Sep-22||New Braille support for Narrator and Xbox subscription management from the Settings app|
|Windows 11 Build 25188||24-Aug-22||Intelligent touch keyboard when the physical keyboard detached|
|Windows 11 Build 25169||28-Jul-22||Added App lockdown feature|
|Windows 11 Build 25126||25-May-22||Improved account settings page|
|Windows 11 Build 25120||18-May-22||Added search widget on Desktop/|
|Windows 11 Build 25115||11-May-22||Added suggested actions feature|
|Windows 11 Build 22616||5-May-22||Improved Xbox controller bar|
|Windows 11 Build 22598||13-Apr-22||Improved Windows Media Player, Windows Spotlight default background|
|Windows 11 Build 22593||6-Apr-22||Homepage to Windows Explorer|
|Windows 11 Build 22579||18-Mar-22||Allows naming start menu folders|
|Windows 11 Build 22572||9-Mar-22||Introducing Microsoft Family and Clipchamp|
|Windows 11 Build 22567||2-Mar-22||Smart App Control, Focuses On Renewable Energy|
|Windows 11 Build 22557||16-Feb-22||Folders of pinned apps, DnD, Focus, Live captions, quick access to Android apps, pin files to Quick Access, and more.|
- Windows 11 Build 22621 Released To Beta Channel: Potential 22H2 Release
- Microsoft Releases Windows 11 Preview Builds 22622 And 22621 On The Beta Channel
- Windows 11 Build 25120 Released With Search Widget On Desktop
- Windows 11 Build 22621.675 (KB5019509) Enables Enhanced File Explorer And Other Features
- Windows 11 Build 22621.608 (KB5017389) Republished With File Explorer Tabs, Suggested Actions, And More