When Windows 11 was released, it appeared that Microsoft had downgraded the Start menu experience from a tiled interface to a more basic one. Microsoft has now begun to enhance the basics and make them more useful for users.
The start menu search
As part of the latest update, a search bar has been added to the start menu, eliminating the need for users to use the separate Windows search application. Upon clicking the search bar, you will be redirected to the Windows search application, which seems to be a gimmick at this moment.
The integration of the Start menu and Windows search is just the first step towards a full-fledged Start menu + search experience.
If you are using multiple monitors on your laptop, the current extended display function will only display the taskbar on your primary display. The taskbar will not appear on any other display.
Windows 11 Build 2200.65 provides a better experience by displaying the taskbar on all extended displays. This behavior must be activated by accessing Settings > Personalization > Taskbar. You will find a setting entitled “When using multiple displays, show my taskbar apps” under Taskbar behaviors.
Please note that this setting will only be active once you have connected multiple displays.
Other issues with the taskbar like the taskbar not rendering date and time in your preferred format, preview window not displaying correctly, support orientation on tablets etc. have been fixed.
The refresh button is back
When Microsoft removed the Refresh button from the Windows context menu, we were frustrated and dissatisfied. Windows users like us seem to have become accustomed to the refresh button.
Fortunately, Microsoft has restored the refresh button to the main context menu. Now you can easily refresh your Desktop by right clicking on it and selecting Refresh.
Other improvements in Windows 11 Build 22000.65
- In the new Windows 11 visual design, several dialog boxes that show system alerts such as those that appear when your laptop’s battery is running low or when your display settings are adjusted have been updated.
- In Settings, the ‘Power mode’ settings can now be accessed from the Power & battery page.
- Right-click on the PowerShell script file in File Explorer now provides a Run with PowerShell option without the need to click “Show more options”.
- Snap layouts are available when using a small PC in portrait orientation. Instead of four quadrants, three apps can now be stacked, one on top of the other.
- The GIF selections for Windows Insiders in China are now available via the emoji panel (WIN + .) following a collaboration with China’s most popular GIF provider in China, weshineapp.com.
- Right-clicking the volume icon in the taskbar now provides a sound troubleshooting option.
You can read about other improvements and fixes on this Windows Insider blog.
How to install Windows 11 Build 22000.65 (KB5004745)
Once done with the installation, continue checking for new updates on Windows 11. You will see the following item in the available updates:
Cumulative Update for Windows 11 (10.0.22000.65) (KB5004745)
Pressing the Download now button will start the download process. Once downloaded, the update will install automatically and show a Restart message.
You can either restart right away or set a time so Windows can restart automatically when the system is not being used.
Rollback/remove Windows 11 Insider Preview update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To rollback after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Have you installed Windows 11 yet? Please let us know about this update in the comments below.
- Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22468: VPN Stats + Hide Recent Searches in Taskbar
- Windows 11 Build 22000.71 (KB5004252) Comes with More Fixes
- Windows 11 Build 25211 Updated Outlook, Task Manager In Taskbar
- Windows 11 Build 25126 Improves Account Settings Page
- Windows 11 Build 25131 Improves Microsoft Store App