Microsoft has released Windows 11 Preview Build 25120 on the Dev channel. Insiders can use this opportunity to try out experimental features that may or may not make their way to Windows 11 23H2, which will presumably be released the following year.
With that said, we would also like to remind our audience that you can now no longer switch to the Beta channel from the Dev channel since they are both now separately again.
Build 25120 introduced one new experimental feature, along with several fixes. However, it still has a few known issues that you should consider before installing this release. Furthermore, Microsoft has also released its ISO image, which you can download using the given guide below, then use it to perform a clean install.
Windows 11 Build 25120 is also being offered to ARM64 devices, unlike the last release.
Table of contents
New in Windows 11 Build 25120
Experimental Search Widget on Desktop
Note: This feature is currently not available to every insider.
Microsoft is now experimenting with new concepts in the Windows operating system. With this flight, they introduced a new floating widget located right in the center of your desktop. This is a search widget that allows you to explore the Bing web search conveniently.
Remember that this is an experimental feature and could be removed by Microsoft. Therefore, the feature’s existence relies on your, the Insider’s, feedback. To provide feedback, use the Feedback Hub.
To get this new search bar, install the build and then restart your computer. If you do not see this automatically after the reboot, you might not be one of the chosen ones just yet. However, if this feature continues to stay, you will surely receive it on a future flight.
That said, if you do not want this search widget, you can get rid of it by right-clicking on a blank space on the desktop, clicking “Show more options,” and then toggling “Show search.”
Other Improvements and Fixes
Other changes and fixes have also been made with this flight:
- [Suggested Actions]
- Suggested Actions should now appear for more date and time formats.
- Any issues with certain formats when copying the date and/or time have been addressed.
- The performance and reliability of the feature has been improved.
- An issue that could crash the Settings app when opening and looking at the battery usage graph has been fixed.
- The performance of displaying the Wi-Fi networks after enabling Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi section of Quick Settings has been improved.
- [Task Manager]
- An issue leading to unreadable text on the Performance page when a contrast theme is enabled has been taken care of.
Microsoft intimates its users that some of these fixes might make their way to servicing updates for Windows 11. With that, let us now see the issues that accompany this flight.
- Some games that use Easy Anti-Cheat may crash or cause your PC to bugcheck.
- [Live captions]
- When using certain apps in full-screen mode (e.g., video players), live captions may not appear.
- If apps are positioned near the top of the screen and closed before live captions run, they will re-launch behind the live captions window positioned at the top. If you experience these issues, use the system menu (ALT + Spacebar) while the app has focus to move the app’s window further down.
How to Install Windows 11 Build 25120
If you have enabled Windows updates, you will automatically get a “New features are ready to install” prompt.
Follow the steps below to upgrade to this build:
Navigate to the Settings app and then click Windows Update on the left.
Here, click Check for updates on the right side of the window.
You will then see the following update available under Updates available to download:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 25120.1000 (rs_prerelease)
Click Download and install.
The update will now begin to download and then install. Once complete, click Restart Now.
Once the computer restarts, you can verify that the OS has been updated by typing in winver in the Run Command box.
Download Windows 11 Build 25120 ISO Image
You can also download the ISO image for Windows 11 Build 25120 and perform a clean install. Here is how:
Once logged in, scroll down and select Windows 11 Insider Preview (Dev Channel) – Build 25120 from the drop-down menu and click Confirm.
Now select the language you want to download it in and click Confirm.
Finally, click 64-bit Download to begin downloading the ISO image.
You are now set to perform a fresh installation of Windows 11 Dev Build 22598 using the downloaded ISO image.
Learn how to create a multiboot USB installation media using Ventoy.
Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Windows 11 Insider Preview updates history
|Windows 11 Build 25206||SMB authentication rate limiter and dynamic refresh rate|
|Windows 11 Build 25201||Expandable widgets board and sign-in option in Game Pass widget|
|Windows 11 Build 25197||Tablet-optimized taskbar restored, animated icons introduced in the Settings app, system tray icons updated|
|Windows 11 Build 25193||New Braille support for Narrator and Xbox subscription management from the Settings app|
|Windows 11 Build 25188||Intelligent touch keyboard when physical keyboard detached|
|Windows 11 Build 25169||Added App lockdown feature|
|Windows 11 Build 25126||Improved account settings page|
|Windows 11 Build 25120||Added search widget on Desktop/|
|Windows 11 Build 25115||Added suggested actions feature|
|Windows 11 Build 22616||Improved Xbox controller bar|
|Windows 11 Build 22598||Improved Windows Media Player, Windows Spotlight default background|
|Windows 11 Build 22593||Homepage to Windows Explorer|
|Windows 11 Build 22579||Allows naming start menu folders|
|Windows 11 Build 22572||Introducing Microsoft Family and Clipchamp|
|Windows 11 Build 22567||Smart App Control, Focuses On Renewable Energy|
|Windows 11 Build 22557||Folders of pinned apps, DnD, Focus, Live captions, quick access to Android apps, pin files to Quick Access, and more.|
- Windows 11 Build 22621 Released To Beta Channel: Potential 22H2 Release
- Microsoft Begins Development On Windows 11 23H2 With Preview Build 25115
- Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.105 Secretly Published To Release Preview Channel
- Download Windows 11 Build 25201 ISO With Expanded Widgets View
- Windows 11 Build 25126 Improves Account Settings Page