You can now install the Windows 11 Preview Build 25131.1000 which has been released to the Dev channel for Insiders. This flight significantly improves the Microsoft Store application in various ways, which have been discussed in detail below.
Furthermore, it also fixes a few issues with the Windows 11 operating system, but simultaneously, introduces 2 new known issues.
Let us see what the new improvements are, and then continue to learn how to install this build.
Table of contents
New in Windows 11 Build 25131
Improved Microsoft Store App (Version 22205.1401.3.0)
The following changes and improvements have been made to the Microsoft Store app in Windows 11 build 25131:
The Microsoft Store app experience on ARM64 devices has been significantly improved with native support. You’ll now see faster and better performance while using the app.
Application updates have been improved when you click the Update buttons in the Microsoft Store app. However, the update will skip over the apps that are open, so you don’t lose any important work. You can manually update the apps later.
Improved Android apps support for the pop-up store experience: When you’re browsing the web, you might discover a new app. If it’s available in the Microsoft Store, the Store app will show you a pop-up experience to help you install it quickly. This experience now supports free Android apps.
The browsing experience has been improved for faster navigation.
You can now choose your preferred viewing method once you’ve selected a TV show or movie through a single list.
Note that this feature is only beginning to roll out, therefore may not be available to all Insiders at the moment.
Other Improvements and Fixes
Other changes and fixes have also been made with this flight:
- An issue causing some Insider PCs with certain AMD processors to bugcheck and roll back when attempting to upgrade to last week’s flight. This issue is also believed to be the cause of some Insiders experiencing a bugcheck after enabling SVM in the bios on their PCs in the last build.
- An issue that was causing some Insiders with secondary accounts on their PC to not be able to upgrade to the latest builds has been fixed.
- [File Explorer]
- The new folder icon used in the command bar should be consistent with the one used in the context menu now.
- An issue that could lead to File Explorer hanging when browsing folders with lots of .mkv files has been fixed.
- An issue that was causing searching from Home to not return any results sometimes from the Open or Save dialog (when doing it from File Explorer returned results) has been addressed.
- Searching for something like %appdata% should now show a proper folder icon and not just a blank square.
- When selecting “Open file location” for a search result, it should now select the file in the folder again now, and not just open the folder.
- Searching for “default” will now return the default apps Settings page as the first result, and not require you to click “show all results” in order to see it.
- An issue where the “Listen to this device” audio option would stop working after a reboot until being unchecked and rechecked has been resolved.
- The Narrator will now read out the position of the radio buttons in the Settings >> Accessibility >> Color filters page to make it easier to navigate.
- Hovering over “Do you like what you see?” when using Windows Spotlight on the lock screen should no longer display a shadow that extends to the bottom of the screen.
- An issue that was leading to certain frame rate monitoring applications impacting game performance has been fixed.
- An issue that could cause rounded corners to unexpectedly become pixelated at certain scale factors has been addressed.
With these new features, improvements, and fixes, there are also a few known issues we think you should know about before upgrading to this build.
- Windows Insiders on Surface Pro X devices will hit a black screen attempting to resume from hibernate on this build. As a workaround, you will need to power cycle (long power button shutdown) to get back into the device. It is recommended Insiders on these devices pause flighting until Microsoft fixes the issue.
- Shutting down via the Start menu isn’t working for some Insiders and is unexpectedly rebooting instead.
- Some games that use Easy Anti-Cheat may crash or cause your PC to bugcheck.
- [Live captions]
- Certain apps in full screen (e.g., video players) prevent live captions from being visible.
- Certain apps positioned near the top of the screen and closed before live captions is run will re-launch behind the live captions window positioned at the top. Use the system menu (ALT + Spacebar) while the app has focus to move the app’s window further down.
How to Install Windows 11 Build 25131
To install this update, you need to be running Windows 11 and subscribed to the Dev channel. If you have enabled Windows updates, you will automatically get a “New features are ready to install” prompt.
If not, follow these steps to install Preview Build 25131:
Navigate to the Settings app and then click Windows Update on the left.
Here, click Check for updates on the right side of the window.
You will then see the following update available under Updates available to download:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 25131.1000 (rs_prerelease)
Click Download and install in front of it.
The update will now begin to download and then install. Once complete, click Restart Now.
Once the computer restarts, you can verify that the OS has been updated by typing in winver in the Run Command box.
Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Windows 11 Insider Preview updates history
|Build||Release Date||Features added|
|Windows 11 Build 25227||19-Oct-22||Improvements to Windows Update management, pop-up trailer preview in Microsoft Store, monoline icons in widgets board.|
|Windows 11 Build 25217||6-Oct-22||Supports third-party widgets, new video calling experience in the taskbar, Simplified Chinese IME cloud suggestions, and Microsoft Store improvements|
|Windows 11 Build 25211||29-Sep-22||New Widget Settings and Widget Picker, New Outlook for Windows experience, Task Manager in the taskbar context menu|
|Windows 11 Build 25206||21-Sep-22||SMB authentication rate limiter and dynamic refresh rate|
|Windows 11 Build 25201||14-Sep-22||Expandable widgets board and sign-in option in Game Pass widget|
|Windows 11 Build 25197||8-Sep-22||Tablet-optimized taskbar restored, animated icons introduced in the Settings app, system tray icons updated|
|Windows 11 Build 25193||1-Sep-22||New Braille support for Narrator and Xbox subscription management from the Settings app|
|Windows 11 Build 25188||24-Aug-22||Intelligent touch keyboard when the physical keyboard detached|
|Windows 11 Build 25169||28-Jul-22||Added App lockdown feature|
|Windows 11 Build 25126||25-May-22||Improved account settings page|
|Windows 11 Build 25120||18-May-22||Added search widget on Desktop/|
|Windows 11 Build 25115||11-May-22||Added suggested actions feature|
|Windows 11 Build 22616||5-May-22||Improved Xbox controller bar|
|Windows 11 Build 22598||13-Apr-22||Improved Windows Media Player, Windows Spotlight default background|
|Windows 11 Build 22593||6-Apr-22||Homepage to Windows Explorer|
|Windows 11 Build 22579||18-Mar-22||Allows naming start menu folders|
|Windows 11 Build 22572||9-Mar-22||Introducing Microsoft Family and Clipchamp|
|Windows 11 Build 22567||2-Mar-22||Smart App Control, Focuses On Renewable Energy|
|Windows 11 Build 22557||16-Feb-22||Folders of pinned apps, DnD, Focus, Live captions, quick access to Android apps, pin files to Quick Access, and more.|
- Windows 11 Build 25126 Improves Account Settings Page
- Windows 11 Build 25182 Updates Camera And Store App In Dev Channel
- Windows 11 Build 25151 With Redesigned “Open With” Dialog Box
- Windows 11 Build 25169 Released With App Lockdown
- Download Windows 11 Build 22000.168 ISO (KB5005191) With New Microsoft Store