In the same week as Patch Tuesday updates, Microsoft has also updated the Dev channel for Windows 11 for the Insiders to Build 25179. This update does not include any new features, but a plethora of fixes and improvements for the OS. Moreover, Microsoft has also published an ISO for this build, so users can perform clean installations.
Let us discuss the new improvements this flight addresses as well as the issues it brings, then continue to learn how to upgrade to this flight through Windows Update and download its ISO image.
New in Windows 11 Build 25179
Improvements and Fixes
Here are the changes, improvements, and fixes implemented with this flight:
- The spelling dictionary will now use a language-neutral word list and that will be synchronized across all devices that use the same Windows account. This feature can be toggled via Settings >> Accounts >> Windows backup >> Remember my preferences >> Language preferences.
- An issue causing hangs and crashes in applications (like Excel) when attempting to print in the last few flights.
- A few issues impacting explorer.exe reliability have been addressed.
- [File Explorer]
- File Explorer tabs and navigation updates are now rolling out to everyone in the Dev Channel.
- Different experiences in File Explorer to show search results are being tested by Microsoft.
- The Mount option when right-clicking things like ISO files should now show an icon in the context menu.
- An issue where the min/max/close button might not be visible in File Explorer when using a contrast theme has been fixed.
- The Tamil Anjal keyboard for the Tamil language has been added. This keyboard is currently rolling out to a subset of Insiders while we evaluate the quality. To add it, make sure Tamil (India) is listed under Settings >> Time & Language >> Language & Region, and then click the ellipses (3 dots) next to the language, select “Language Options,” and add it to the list of keyboards.
- A small tweak has been made to improve the key repeat rate for the traditional touch keyboard layout, as well as the default touch keyboard layout.
- A sporadic crash impacting the reliability of the input switcher has been fixed.
- An issue where when Suggested Actions was enabled, if you copied multiple items in a row to your clipboard history, some of the items might not display after you pressed the WIN + V shortcut keys, has been addressed.
- An issue causing Widgets preferences (temperature units and pinned widgets) to unexpectedly get reset to default has been fixed.
- An issue that could lead to the taskbar overflow flyout unexpectedly appearing on the opposite side of the screen has been addressed.
- An issue that was causing the Settings app to crash on launch has been fixed.
- The alignment of the “Scan for phone” button displayed on Accounts >> Sign-In Options under “Dynamic Lock” when your phone failed to connect has been fixed.
- The preferred state for the Suggested Actions setting under System >> Clipboard should persist upgrade going forward from this build.
- An issue where when resizing certain app windows near the edge of the screen when using mixed DPI monitors might unexpectedly cause the window to jump and shrink has been addressed.
- The default duration captured by
powercfg -sleepstudyhas been updated from 3 to 7 days.
- A change was made so that the media controls in Quick Settings will more reliably not load old media you’re no longer using.
- An issue causing one of the characters in the bugcheck text to not display correctly (as a box) when the display language is set to Chinese has been fixed.
- An issue causing app install failures with error code 0x80080204 in the last few flights has been addressed.
- The date/time recognition for existing supported locales when using Suggested Actions has been improved.
- The default duration captured by
With these improvements and fixes, there are also a few known issues we think you should know about before upgrading to this build.
- Devices with low disk space may be unable to update to this build and see a download error 0x80070001 in Windows Update. Microsoft recommends that freeing up disk space of 24GB or higher should fix the problem, while they work on a permanent fix.
- Some games that use Easy Anti-Cheat may crash or cause your PC to bugcheck.
- There are reports that audio stopped working for some Insiders after upgrading to the last flight.
- An issue leading to some Insiders experiencing a decrease in FPS when playing certain games in recent flights due to the wrong graphics card being used.
- There are reports of a few different apps having started crashing in recent builds.
- [File Explorer]
- The left-half of the File Explorer title bar may not be draggable via mouse or touch.
- The up arrow is misaligned in the File Explorer tabs.
- An issue causing Home, Documents, Pictures, and potentially other folders to become unexpectedly duplicated in File Explorer’s navigation pane or appear on the desktop.
- An issue where the search box background in File Explorer might be the opposite color of your current mode.
- An issue causing the delete key to unexpectedly not work on files in File Explorer.
- An issue where the taskbar isn’t able to display if File Explorer is maximized and you have the taskbar set to auto-hide.
- The notification badge number may appear misaligned on the taskbar.
- In some cases, the notification banner for some badging will not appear in the widgets board.
- An issue in recent Dev Channel flights causing lines to not be included when printing tables from certain apps.
Some of these issues have prolonged over the last few flights in the Dev channel, but some of them are new with this flight. Hopefully, Microsoft will address these in future releases.
Download and Install Windows 11 Build 25179
If you have enabled Windows updates, you will automatically get a “New features are ready to install” prompt.
Follow the steps below to upgrade to this build:
Navigate to the Settings app and then click Windows Update on the left.
Here, click Check for updates on the right side of the window.
You will now see the following update available under “Updates available to download”:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 25179.1000 (rs_prerelease)
Click Download and install in front of it.
The update will now install. Once complete, click Restart Now.
Once the computer restarts, you can verify that the OS has been updated by typing in winver in the Run Command box.
Download Windows 11 Build 25179 ISO Image
You can also download the ISO image for Windows 11 Build 25179 and perform a clean install. Here is how:
Once logged in, scroll down and select Windows 11 Insider Preview (Dev Channel) – Build 25179 from the drop-down menu and click Confirm.
Now select the language you want to download it in and click Confirm.
Finally, click 64-bit Download to begin downloading the ISO image.
You are now set to perform a fresh installation of Windows 11 Dev Build 25179 using the downloaded ISO image.
Learn how to create a multiboot USB installation media using Ventoy.
Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Windows 11 Insider Preview updates history
|Build||Release Date||Features added|
|Windows 11 Build 25227||19-Oct-22||Improvements to Windows Update management, pop-up trailer preview in Microsoft Store, monoline icons in widgets board.|
|Windows 11 Build 25217||6-Oct-22||Supports third-party widgets, new video calling experience in the taskbar, Simplified Chinese IME cloud suggestions, and Microsoft Store improvements|
|Windows 11 Build 25211||29-Sep-22||New Widget Settings and Widget Picker, New Outlook for Windows experience, Task Manager in the taskbar context menu|
|Windows 11 Build 25206||21-Sep-22||SMB authentication rate limiter and dynamic refresh rate|
|Windows 11 Build 25201||14-Sep-22||Expandable widgets board and sign-in option in Game Pass widget|
|Windows 11 Build 25197||8-Sep-22||Tablet-optimized taskbar restored, animated icons introduced in the Settings app, system tray icons updated|
|Windows 11 Build 25193||1-Sep-22||New Braille support for Narrator and Xbox subscription management from the Settings app|
|Windows 11 Build 25188||24-Aug-22||Intelligent touch keyboard when the physical keyboard detached|
|Windows 11 Build 25169||28-Jul-22||Added App lockdown feature|
|Windows 11 Build 25126||25-May-22||Improved account settings page|
|Windows 11 Build 25120||18-May-22||Added search widget on Desktop/|
|Windows 11 Build 25115||11-May-22||Added suggested actions feature|
|Windows 11 Build 22616||5-May-22||Improved Xbox controller bar|
|Windows 11 Build 22598||13-Apr-22||Improved Windows Media Player, Windows Spotlight default background|
|Windows 11 Build 22593||6-Apr-22||Homepage to Windows Explorer|
|Windows 11 Build 22579||18-Mar-22||Allows naming start menu folders|
|Windows 11 Build 22572||9-Mar-22||Introducing Microsoft Family and Clipchamp|
|Windows 11 Build 22567||2-Mar-22||Smart App Control, Focuses On Renewable Energy|
|Windows 11 Build 22557||16-Feb-22||Folders of pinned apps, DnD, Focus, Live captions, quick access to Android apps, pin files to Quick Access, and more.|