Microsoft has released Windows 11 Build 25211 to Dev Insiders. If you have Windows 11 Dev Insider Preview updates enabled on your computer, this update will be offered to you via Windows Update. Check for new updates if you haven’t received the update notification yet.
Build 25211 comes with a few interesting feature releases. It seems like Microsoft is finally listening to the community and fixing the issues. For example, the Task Manager is back in the taskbar context menu, which we were so used to.
Windows 11 Build 25211 also separates Widget settings from the Widget picker. We’ll talk about this in this article.
Let’s begin by exploring the new and improved features and functionalities included in this build of Windows 11.
Table of contents
- Windows 11 Build 2511 Summary
- What's new and improved in Windows 11 Build 25211
- How to Install Windows 11 Build 25211
- Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
- Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
Windows 11 Build 2511 Summary
Here are some of the important details about this build for Windows 11.
|Complete Release Build||Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25211|
|Channel||Dev (Flight Hub)|
|Release Date||Thursday, September 29th, 2022|
|Download and install||First Download the stable version of Windows 11 22H2 (2022 Update)|
Then join the Windows Insider program
Here is the list of the latest Windows 11 builds and versions for each channel for your information:
Windows 11 Latest Versions Numbers
|Windows 11 Channel||Release Date||Build/Version Information|
|Windows 11 (22H2) Stable||25-Oct-22||Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.755|
|Windows 11 (21H2) Stable||17-Oct-22||Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.1100|
|Windows 11 22H2 Release Preview||19-Oct-22||Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.754|
|Windows 11 21H2 Release Preview||18-Oct-22||Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.1163|
|Windows 11 Beta||20-Oct-22||Windows 11 22H2 Build 22623.870/22621.870|
|Windows 11 Dev||27-Oct-22||Windows 11 Build 25231|
What’s new and improved in Windows 11 Build 25211
New Widget Settings and Widget Picker
In this build, Microsoft has separated Widget settings and Widget picker pages. Previously both, add a widget and widget settings, opened the same window. Clicking on the + button to add a widget or clicking on the profile button would open the same screen.
Now they have been separated. Now the + button will open the add widgets window while the profile button will open the widgets settings.
With the new Widgets settings, you can do the following:
- Control whether the Widgets board opens when you hover over the taskbar icon.
- Control whether Widgets will show notification badging on the taskbar.
- Control whether live Widget content on the taskbar shows more than weather.
Please note that this feature is being rolled out gradually to all Insiders. If you have updated your Windows Dev build and still not got this feature, please wait for a while until you receive the feature update.
Finally Microsoft has listened to old users like us. We are so used to opening Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar that we can’t accept anything else.
As I was getting used to opening the Task Manager by right clicking on the Start Menu, Microsoft has added the Task Manager option to the taskbar context menu. This is a welcome change and will be appreciated by lots.
New Outlook experience for Windows users
Windows Insiders who have also signed up for the Office Insiders program can now update their Outlook to the latest Dev build. Once updated, you will see a “Try the New Outlook” toggle in the top right corner of the Outlook window.
Other notable features and fixes
- Snipping tool now saves the screenshots automatically. Make sure the Snipping Tool has been updated to version 11.2209.2.0 or higher.
- This build lays the foundation for rearranging the system tray icons feature. While the feature will be released in the upcoming builds, it is a great addition to be able to rearrange system tray icons the way we want.
- Fixed an issue with File Explorer where the top part of File Explorer, including the search and address bar, would freeze.
- Now you’ll not be able to uninstall programs with interdependencies. To uninstall the program, you must remove all dependencies.
- Fixed animations on the Start Menu pinned items that are lower on the page.
- The gripper for moving the emoji panel and touch keyboard should now update color correctly when you switch between dark and light mode.
- Fixed Settings crash when changing your mobile hotspot name.
For all changes in this build, please refer to this page.
How to Install Windows 11 Build 25211
To install this update, you need to be running Windows 11 and subscribed to the Dev channel. If you have enabled Windows updates, you will automatically get a “New features are ready to install” prompt.
If not, follow these steps to install the update:
Navigate to the Settings app and then click Windows Update on the left.
Here, click Check for updates on the right side of the window.
You will then see the following update available under Updates available to download:
Windows 11 Insider Preview 25211.1000 (rs_prerelease)
Click Download and install in front of it.
Once the update downloads and installs, click Restart Now to finalize the installation.
Once the computer restarts, you can verify that the OS has been updated to the build specified by typing in winver in the Run Command box.
Rollback/Remove Windows 11 Insider Preview Update
If you do not wish to keep the installed preview update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To roll back after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
Cleanup After Installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands one after the other in Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Windows 11 Insider Preview updates history
|Build||Release Date||Features added|
|Windows 11 Build 25227||19-Oct-22||Improvements to Windows Update management, pop-up trailer preview in Microsoft Store, monoline icons in widgets board.|
|Windows 11 Build 25217||6-Oct-22||Supports third-party widgets, new video calling experience in the taskbar, Simplified Chinese IME cloud suggestions, and Microsoft Store improvements|
|Windows 11 Build 25211||29-Sep-22||New Widget Settings and Widget Picker, New Outlook for Windows experience, Task Manager in the taskbar context menu|
|Windows 11 Build 25206||21-Sep-22||SMB authentication rate limiter and dynamic refresh rate|
|Windows 11 Build 25201||14-Sep-22||Expandable widgets board and sign-in option in Game Pass widget|
|Windows 11 Build 25197||8-Sep-22||Tablet-optimized taskbar restored, animated icons introduced in the Settings app, system tray icons updated|
|Windows 11 Build 25193||1-Sep-22||New Braille support for Narrator and Xbox subscription management from the Settings app|
|Windows 11 Build 25188||24-Aug-22||Intelligent touch keyboard when the physical keyboard detached|
|Windows 11 Build 25169||28-Jul-22||Added App lockdown feature|
|Windows 11 Build 25126||25-May-22||Improved account settings page|
|Windows 11 Build 25120||18-May-22||Added search widget on Desktop/|
|Windows 11 Build 25115||11-May-22||Added suggested actions feature|
|Windows 11 Build 22616||5-May-22||Improved Xbox controller bar|
|Windows 11 Build 22598||13-Apr-22||Improved Windows Media Player, Windows Spotlight default background|
|Windows 11 Build 22593||6-Apr-22||Homepage to Windows Explorer|
|Windows 11 Build 22579||18-Mar-22||Allows naming start menu folders|
|Windows 11 Build 22572||9-Mar-22||Introducing Microsoft Family and Clipchamp|
|Windows 11 Build 22567||2-Mar-22||Smart App Control, Focuses On Renewable Energy|
|Windows 11 Build 22557||16-Feb-22||Folders of pinned apps, DnD, Focus, Live captions, quick access to Android apps, pin files to Quick Access, and more.|
- Windows 11 Build 25231 Brings Phone’s Hotspot Instant Access
- Windows 11 Build 25227 Improves Windows Update Management
- Windows 11 Builds 22623.741 & 22621.741 (KB5018503) Fixes Known Tablet-Optimized Taskbar Issues
- Windows 11 Builds 22623.746 & 22621.746 (KB5018490) Allows Custom Arrangement Of System Tray Icons
- Windows 11 Build 25217 Supports Third-Party Widgets And New Video Calling Experience