Windows 10 Version 2004 May 2020 Update is still not available to everyone. Although it has been released publicly, Microsoft is making use of machine-learning to determine and offer this update to only the most compatible systems.
If you have been offered to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest May 2020 Update, you may get the following error:
This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.
Your PC settings aren’t supported yet on this version of Windows 10. Microsoft is working to support your settings soon. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically when these settings are supported.
A lot of users have run into this error message even when the update was being offered through Windows Update.
According to Paul Thurrott, this message will appear after the upgrade or install reaches 30%.
The error message does not specify any particular reason that we could fix to go through the upgrade process smoothly. The only straight-forward way seems to be by downloading Windows 10 Version 2004 ISO file and upgrading the system offline using the ISO.
Another solution from a Microsoft employee is to disable core isolation security. Here are the steps to disable the core isolation features in Windows 10:
- Open Windows Settings (Windows key + i)
- Go to Update & Security
- From the left-hand pane, select Windows Security
- In the right-hand pane, select Device Security. This will open another Windows security window.
- Under Device Security, click on Core isolation details
- Turn off memory integrity
Restart your computer and try installing the Windows 10 May 2020 Update again.
We can also check exactly what is causing this PC to not be upgraded error. Follow the instructions below to check the main cause.
- Open the Windows folder in the system drive.
- Go to the folder named Panther.
- Find the XML file which starts with “appraiser”. Open it in notepad.
You will be able to find the reason for blocking the update in this file. Adam Gross shared his file where we can see OneDrive and legacy filters are listed as possible blocking reasons.
Once you know of the issue, it will become very easy to fix it. Just remove the app or driver that is causing the issue and Windows 10 Version 2004 should be installed smoothly.
Once you know that OneDrive or some other driver is blocking this update from being installed, removing the problematic app or driver will let Windows Update install the latest upgrade smoothly without any errors.
It is always wise to wait for Microsoft to offer a fix for the error you are getting. However, if you want to install the update right away, you can use the workarounds given in this article to complete the upgrade process.
Have you encountered this issue on your computer? Please share your experience with us in the comments below.
- How To Fix A Driver Can’t Load On This Device Error In Windows 10
- Fix Radeon Settings Version and Driver Version Do Not Match Error
- Download And Install KB4550945 Windows 10 Cumulative update To Fix Windows Upgrade Issues
- Fix Error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C On Windows 8/8.1/10 Update
- Download Windows 10 November 2019 Update (Version 1909) ISO Images [All Languages]