Java is a programming language which was, initially, released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. It became very popular and was acquired by Oracle after a series of vulnerabilities making Java less reliable. But now, Java is used on more than 15 billion devices around the world.
Let’s discuss a few things about Java and then move to Java download links for any system and platform.
- 1 What are the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and Java Development Kit (JDK)?
- 2 Is Java installed on this computer?
- 3 Update Java using Java control panel
- 4 Manually download Java
- 5 How to install an older version of Java
- 6 Which Java version should I download?
- 7 Download JRE And JDK Offline Installers for Java all versions
What are the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and Java Development Kit (JDK)?
There are two parts of Java, Java Development Kit (JDK) for creating software using the language. The second part is the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for running applications created with Java language.
Since we have already discussed that there are two parts of Java, we will need to understand the purpose of installing Java on your computer before going forward. The installation file depends upon your purpose, whether you want to program or code in Java language or you want to just run Java applications.
In both cases, installing Java is very simple. Just download the setup files from the direct download links given below and run the installers, it will automatically download and install the latest version of Java for you.
Is Java installed on this computer?
The first thing you should do is to check which Java version you are using on your machine at the moment. For this. open Command Prompt window and type following command.
Update Java using Java control panel
You have to go ahead with following simple steps to update JRE.
- Open Control Panel and go to Java.
- Now go to the Update tab and click on “Update Now”.
- If any new update is available, the installer will start downloading the update, it will take 1-2 minutes to complete the downloading and installing the Java update.
- After installation completes, a confirmation window will say that your download is successful.
Manually download Java
If you do not want to use the Java control panel for the update, you will need to download Java manually using the links given below. Just download your required version of Java and run the installer file. It should automatically detect and install the appropriate version of the software. And then update to the latest version of the system is still running an older version.
How to install an older version of Java
It is possible to install multiple major versions of Java as you can install Java 7 and Java 8 together. And even the latest version, Java 11 can also be installed alongside older versions of Java. So if you want to run applications which require an older version of JRE, most probably, you’ll be able to find it in the list of Java updates below.
Which Java version should I download?
The simplest answer to this question is, it depends upon your requirements. If you don’t have any specific requirement, the recommendation is to always download and install the latest version.
Download JRE And JDK Offline Installers for Java all versions
- Java 8 Update 231 Is Available For Download
- Java 8 Update 241 Is Available For Download
- Download Java 10 Offline Installers For All Operating Systems
- Download Java 8 JRE and JDK Offline Installers
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Offline Installer