Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable is a runtime library which is necessary for running applications made with Microsoft Visual C++ using Visual Studio. Normally, the applications which require this runtime library package the required version within the installer. If it is not packaged, you will get a link to download the redistributable.
There are times when some of the DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files do not get installed or registered during installation of the runtime library. This causes the application to not work properly.
First we will need to understand what types of error message we can get from missing DLL files and then we will discuss about how to identify which version of Visual C++ redistributable DLL is missing and finally will go to the solution to all these error messages.
When these DDL files are missing, there are a few errors you will get while running or installing applications. Some of the error messages are listed below:
- The program can’t start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- The program can’t start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
These error messages can be for a long range of dll files including msvcr80.dll, msvcr100.dll, msvcr120.dll, msvcr140.dll, msvcp80.dll, msvcp100.dll, msvcp120.dll, msvcp140.dll etc.
And these error messages can come in applications which need Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable installed in order to run. These applications can range from WAMP, XAMP, nVidia, MySQL, games like MaxPayne etc.
There are three types of Visual C++ DLL libraries
- MSVCR: C Runtime Library (CRL)
- MSVCP: Standard C++ Library
- MFC: Microsoft Foundation Classes Library
And each number at the end of each DLL file corresponds to the Visual Studio version number.
- 90: Visual Studio 2008 (Version 9.0)
- 100: Visual Studio 2010 (Version 10.0)
- 110: Visual Studio 2012 (Version 11.0)
- 120: Visual Studio 2013 (Version 12.0)
- 140: Visual Studio 2015 (Version 14.0)
- 150: Visual Studio 2017 (Version 15.0)
- 160: Visual Studio 2019 (Version 16.0)
Although these error messages appear to be different, they have similar solutions. The error messages primarily indicate that either our Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable installation has become corrupt, it was not installed properly or the application requires a different version of runtime library in order to run.
Solution for msvcr120.dll missing or similar errors
Reinstall VC++ redistributable
Time needed: 5 minutes.
The first solution to msvcr120.dll missing is to reinstall VC++ redistributable. This will copy the missing
- Identifying the version of DLL file
Check the exact error message and note down the last digits in DLL missing error message. For example, if msvcr100.dll, note down 100.
- Identifying the version of corresponding VC++ redistributable
Tally the number with the version of Visual Studio given above. This will give you the exact version of VC++ redistributable required for running the application. For example, 100 corresponds to Visual Studio 2010. So you will need to download and install Visual C++ 2010 redistributable.
- Downloading VC++ runtime
Download and install your required Visual C++ redistributable from the direct download link given here.
- Restarting the system
Restart the system and try to run the application again. It should work without any issues now.
Re-register msvcr120.dll or similar files
If you can find msvcr120.dll in C:\Windows\System32 folder but still get the error message, you can simply re-register the dll files in order to make it working again. Here are the steps you have to follow to re-register the dll files.
- Make sure you have your required file msvcr120.dll in the system folder C:\Windows\System32\
- Go to Run –> regsvr32 msvcr120.dll
- This will re-register the
dllfile and your programs will start working again.
Hopefully, the solutions I have given here will be enough to fix the DLL missing issues. I would love to hear about your experiences on fixing these issues. Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
Must Read Articles:
- Download Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (All Versions)
- Microsoft Visual Studio All Versions ISO Download Links
- Visual Studio 2013 RC Direct Download Links (Complete ISOs)
- Fix IDM has been registered with a fake serial number
- Create and Publish Applications using Visual Studio 2013