Automatically Upgrade Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 Via Windows Update
Windows 10 Technical Preview has been available free download from Microsoft for some time now. The latest official build of Windows 10 TP is 9879. Microsoft is planning to release the next major build of Windows 10 in the last week of January 2015. Hopefully it will contain all the fixes and improvements that users have pointed out recently.
Let me tell you very clearly that the current build of Windows 10 Technical Preview is not very stable and has a lot of bugs. If you plan to upgrade your work computer to Windows 10, think again. You can always go with Windows 10 on your testing computer or install Hyper-V in Windows 8/8.1 to install a virtualized version of Windows 10.
The good news for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users is that Microsoft has released a new tool which will prepare your PC for upgrading to Windows 10 via Windows Update. You don’t need to install it manually. Windows Update will automatically download and install the latest version of Windows 10 along with all its updates.
To prepare you PC for upgrading to Windows 10, go through the steps below:
- First of all, you should carefully read the system requirements for Windows 10 although it’s almost the same as Windows 8.
Download Prepare Windows 8/8.1 for Windows Technical Preview
Download Prepare Windows 7 for Windows Technical Preview
Run the downloaded executable and that it. Now Windows Update will include Windows 10 updates and will notify you when the updates are available.
Please note that once you have upgraded to Windows 10 TP, you won’t be able to downgrade to your earlier version of Windows be it Windows 7 or Windows 8. Also, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition which was created by Windows 7 or Windows 8.
I am still trying to figure out how to revert this action taken by this utility. If anyone has an answer, please let me know through comments.
Must Read Articles:
- Windows 10 Technical Preview Direct Download Links (All Languages)
- Windows 10 Upgrade Notifications Not Showing In Windows 7/8/8.1
- Fix Error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C On Windows 8/8.1/10 Update
- Download KB4054517 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1709 December 2017
- Download KB4048953 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 November 2017