Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) allow system administrators to manage Windows servers from their own computers without having to log in to each one individually. This makes network management very easy, especially when you have a large network of servers.
Microsoft releases RSAT tools separately for each Windows version. In Windows 10 Version 1803 or earlier, users had to download RSAT tools and install them manually to enable it.
In Windows 10 Version 1809 and later, Microsoft simplified the installation of RSAT tools. RSAT tools were integrated into the optional features section. It was sufficient for the user to enable the RSAT components and Windows would automatically download, install, and enable them.
Now that Windows 11 has been released (at least the Insider Preview version), let’s check how we can download, install and enable RSAT tools in Windows 11.
How to install RSAT on Windows 11
Open Windows Settings from the Start Menu (or by pressing Windows key + i)
- Select Apps from the left hand menu in Settings app.
- In the right-hand pane, select Optional features
- Press View features button next to Add an optional feature
- Once another window appears, search for rsat.
- Select the features related to RSAT that you want to add and then click Next.
- Pressing the Install button will automatically trigger the download and installation process or the selected RSAT tools.
How to install RSAT using PowerShell in Windows 11
For sysadmins who want advanced stuff, RSAT tools can also be installed using PowerShell. The beauty of using PowerShell is that you will be able to install RSAT tools even on remote computers.
To install all RSAT tools using PowerShell with Administrator privileges, run the following command in PowerShell:
Get-WindowsCapability -Name RSAT* -Online | Add-Windows Capability -Online
To install a specific module, you’ll need to give the name of the module instead of the *.
First, list down all the available RSAT tools. Open PowerShell as an administrator and run the following command:
Get-WindowsCapability -Name RSAT* -Online | Select-Object -Property Name, State.
Copy the name of the tool you want to install and run the command:
Get-WindowsCapability -Name Rsat.BitLocker.Recovery.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 -Online | Add-Windows Capability -Online
In the above mentioned command, I’m installing the RSAT bitlocker module.
How to run the installed Remote Server Administration tools on Windows 11
While Microsoft is making installing RSAT tools easier, it is certainly not easy to find where they have been installed and how to run them. You can search in Windows Search or in the Start Menu if you know the name of the tool. Or you should go to the following folder:
Start Menu > All apps > Windows tools
This will open a folder where you will find all the RSAT tools installed on this computer. Double-click on any tool to run it.
- How to Install RSAT Tools on Windows 10 (Version 1809 and Later)
- Download Remote Server Administrator Tools (RSAT) For Windows All Versions
- Download and Install PowerShell 7.1 In Windows 10
- Download and install PowerShell 7.1.1 for Windows 10
- Check If Your PC has TPM Module Installed For Windows 11 Installation