Oracle released its April Critical Security Updates (CFU) for all its products, including Java. A total of 397 vulnerabilities have been fixed of which 15 were in Java which got updated to Java 8 Update 251.
Since all the vulnerabilities fixed in Java 8 Update 251 are of a critical nature, it’s important to update your installation of Java as soon as possible. All 15 vulnerabilities can be exploited remotely over a network or internet without requiring any user credentials.
Let’s discuss some important details about Java 8 Update 251 and then we’ll move to its download and installation section.
- Latest Java Version: Java 8 Update 251, Java 14.0.1, Java 11.0.7
- Release date: April 14th, 2020
- Last stable version: Java 8 Update 241
- Compatible OS: Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7, macOS
- License: Free
Please note that Java 8 only runs on Internet Explorer as a browser extension.
New features and bug fixes
Update 251 has introduced some new features for a better user end experience. Here is a list:
- Added Support for PKCS#1 v2.2 Algorithms Including RSASSA-PSS Signature
- The SunRsaSign and SunJCE providers have been enhanced with support for more algorithms defined in PKCS#1 v2.2, such as RSASSA-PSS signature and OAEP using FIPS 180-4 digest algorithms.
- New constructors and methods have been added to relevant JCA/JCE classes under the
javax.crypto.specpackages for supporting additional RSASSA-PSS parameters.
Here is the list of Oracle Java SE risk matrix that gives details about each vulnerability like affected Java version, affected component of Java, the type of exploit possible and its scope. (You may click on the image to make it bigger)
You can read more about this matrix here.
How do I update my Java Runtime Environment to version 8 Update 251?
Updating to the latest version is quite easy. But if you want to know what version of Java is installed on your computer, you can follow our tutorial about Java here.
But if you want to download the latest version of Java, you can use the following links. These links will point you to Java 8 Update 251 offline installer downloads.
- Go to Oracle Java download page.
- Under the Java SE Runtime Environment 8u251 section, you will see a list of products.
- Click on the Download icon beside your desired product.
- Accept the license agreement. Your download should start right away.
All downloads on this page are offline installers.
While Java 8 is becoming obsolete, still a lot of users use Java 7 and Java 8 for running old programs and games developed in earlier versions of Java. We always recommend keeping your system up to date and installing all critical updates.
Do you still use Java 8?
- Download and Install Java 8 Update 261
- Java 8 Update 241 Is Available For Download
- Download Java 8 Update 271
- Java 8 Update 231 Is Available For Download
- Download and Install Java 8 Update 291