As with Windows 10 Version 1909 N/KN and Windows 10 Version 2004 N/KN editions, Windows 10 Version 20H2 also comes with a media feature pack pre-packaged into Windows as an optional feature. It can be installed easily using the method given below.
The Windows 10 N edition does not come with multimedia functionality due to European legal compliance. Similarly, the Windows 10 KN edition was released to comply with the laws of South Korea.
The following features will not work in any Windows 10 N or KN editions unless you install the media feature pack:
- Windows Media Player
- Windows Media Format (ASF) and other formats video and audio formats including MPEG, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AMR, H264, H265 and Dolby digital audio codecs.
- Play Windows Media DRM content
- Share music, pictures or videos over the network
- Groove Music
- Voice recorder
If you need any of the above-mentioned features, you will need to install the Windows Media Feature pack first. We will show you how to install and uninstall the media feature pack and other missing multimedia functionality in Windows 10 N/KN editions.
Install Media Feature Pack in Windows 10 N/KN Version 20H2
- Open the Windows Settings (Windows key +i) and navigate to Apps. Click on the Optional Features link under Apps & Features heading in the right-hand pane.
- Click on Add a feature button.
- Search for “media” in the search field. This will show two components: Media Feature Pack and Windows Media Player.
- Check both the Media Feature Pack and Windows Media Player and click on the Install button.
If you get the install failed error while installing the media feature pack, make sure your computer has access to the Internet as Windows will need to connect to the Internet to download the media feature pack and windows media player.
A system restart is required after installing the media feature pack. Otherwise, the multimedia components may not work correctly.
Install codecs and other multimedia functionality
After installing the media feature pack, it’s good to install all the other functionality missing from Windows 10 Version 20H2 N/KN editions. Here are the links from Microsoft Store:
Uninstall Media Feature Pack from Windows 10
Removing Media Feature Pack from Windows 10 is very similar to the installation. Here are the steps involved:
- Go to Windows Settings –> Apps.
- Under Apps & Features, click on Optional features
- You will see the Media Feature Pack in the list of installed optional features
- Click on the item and the Uninstall option will appear.
- Click on the Uninstall button to completely remove the Media Feature Pack from Windows 10.