While it is not always necessary to run laptop with lid closed and connect it to an external monitor screen, in most of the cases, the laptop is connected to the external monitor when closing the lid. In this article, we will discuss two things:
- How to connect the laptop to an external display along with audio output
- How to keep the laptop running with lid closed
When we connect to an external display, normally we use the external display as an extension to the laptop LCD. But when it is not required and we are only using an external display, it would be better to close the laptop lid to save power and extend the laptop battery.
Connecting laptop to an external display
To connect your laptop with the screen you need to have an able that connects the laptop with the external monitor, this cable is called an HDMI cable. While you can also use other means to connect to an external display like VGA, DisplayPort and DVI port, HDMI is the most used digital port of all.
Both the monitor and the laptop need HDMI connector port. Just insert one side in your laptop and the other in the monitor and everything on your laptop is now displayed on the monitor as well.
Change Display Settings to enable 2nd display
To make changes to the display. Press Windows Key + P which will open the Project menu. You will see four options:
- PC Screen only
- 2nd screen only
All options are pretty self-explanatory. To connect to an external display and turn off the laptop display, you will select the fourth option “2nd screen only”.
Adjusting the audio output settings
The advantage of using HDMI is that you can also stream audio through the monitor device. For example, if you are connecting an LED TV, it will have the capability of streaming audio in addition to video from the laptop. Just follow the steps below to enable audio through HDMI device.
- Right-click the speaker icon on the task bar
- Select playback devices and a small window will appear with sound options
- Select Digital Audio HDMI
- Right click and click on set default.
Now you will get the sound from the monitor if it has speaker or an audio/video peripheral.
Run laptop with lid closed without shutting down or hibernating
After connecting the laptop with the monitor you would want to close the lid of your laptop but not shut it down as it will stop displaying everything on the monitor and furthermore it also helps you to save some battery on your laptop.
- To close the laptop’s lid and keep it running, go to the Control Panel ( Run –> Control )
- In the Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sound –> Power Options
- From the left hand menu, select “Choose what closing the lid does”. Power options for lid closing open.
- In the drop down options of “when I close the lid” select “Do nothing”.
- After making these changes, click Save changes option.
Now you can close the lid and still the display on external display won’t be disturbed. This is the easiest way to run a laptop with lid closed.
For me this option is very useful as I keep my laptop running all the time. I have selected to do nothing when I close the lid while the laptop is connected to the power source. This helps me save power as well as use external monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse.
What do you do when you want to run the laptop with lid closed?
- How To Use Laptop As A Second Monitor Using Windows 10 Wireless Display
- How to Enter Safe Mode Directly When Windows 10 Fails to Boot
- Fix Laptop Battery Drains Fast With Lid Closed (in Sleep Mode)
- Fix: USB Audio Device Preventing Sleep in Windows 10
- 5 ways to Change Brightness On Windows 10 Screen