Do you want a Database Management System which can run on-premises, on-cloud or on-Azure stack? Microsoft SQL Server 2019 is exactly for you. The new SQL Server 2019 gives users the manageability of big data clusters, enhanced security and easy integration with other tools.
Microsoft has announced the availability of Microsoft SQL server 2019. This preview has been build on previous versions which gives you a choice of developmental languages and Operating Systems. The new DB Server comes with features like enable the query of other databases like Oracle, Teradata, and MongoDB directly from SQL Server. You will see a lot of new features in this version.
- 1 New Features SQL Server 2019
- 2 Limitations
- 3 System Requirements
- 4 Download SQL Server 2019
- 5 Continue Reading:
New Features SQL Server 2019
Big Data Clusters
The latest version simplifies big data analytics for SQL Server users. The new SQL server combines HDFS (the Hadoop Distributed Filing System) and Apache Spark and provides one integrated system. It provides the facility of data virtualization by integrating data without extracting, transforming and loading it. Big data clusters are difficult to deploy but if you have Kubernetes infrastructure, a single command will deploy your big data cluster in about half an hour.
Master Data Services (MDS)
The Silverlight support of Master Data Services is no longer required. HTML controls will now perform the same functionality.
Advanced security support has been provided in the new version. It encrypts the data using secure enclaves technology. Similarly, support for security certificates has also been provided and the only user with the administrative role can alter the database.
Managed instances and hyper-scale storage
A new cloud-based architecture has been introduced called SQL Database Hyperscale. It provides about 100 TB of data storage. You can scale up and down your database. There are primary as well as secondary instances which perform the function accordingly and reduce the workload like in case of log service the primary instance writes the log to the log service and secondary instance consume the log service.
Oracle, Teradata, MongoDB
The PolyBase product which was in the earlier version too has been expanded. SQL Server can now support queries from external sources like Oracle, Teradata, MongoDB which as a result increases the flexibility of the SQL server
Azure Data Studio for SQL Server
Azure data studio allows you to quickly visualize your data based on its built-in features. It is a modern development environment which helps you with data development and integration tasks.
SQL Server Management Studio has also recently been released which provide support for SQL server 2019. It has been ported to Visual Studio 2017 isolated shell. Some bug fixes like backup, restore, attach has been introduced while some features have been deprecated like Database Diagram, TSQL Debugger, OSQL.exe, Dreplay Admin UI, Configuration Manager tools, SQL Server Configuration, and Reporting Server Configuration Manager
The additional security brings some limitation s with it. You cannot perform any mathematical operation on the encrypted data. The query will only be accepted if it has equality values like “where 1=1”.
Cost Competitive Migration
With some additional features come a huge cost. Deploying existing workloads on a new one is not an easy task. A practical solution for cost-competitive migration needs to be provided for migration from the old version to the new one.
SQL Server still does not have support for composite partitioning which combines basic data distribution methods like range to or range to hash partitioning.
- .NET Framework 4.6 or higher is required for this version of SQL Server.
- A minimum of 6 GB hard disk space is required but it will vary according to the components of SQL server you install.
- Minimum 1 GB memory is required but 4 GB memory is recommended for better performance
- SQL Server supports 64-bit processors. It no longer supports 32-bit processors.
Download SQL Server 2019
SQL Server 2019 is available for Windows, Linux, Docker, and big data clusters. Follow the instructions below to download SQL Server 2019 for Windows. Downloading for other platforms is similar. Just select the other platform instead of Windows on step two.
- Go to SQL Server 2019 evaluation page.
- Under Windows, click on the link Choose your installation setup.
- On the next screen, click on Preview SQL Server 2019 for Windows link. This will open another web page for you.
- Under SQL Server evaluations / SQL Server 2019 CTP / Start your evaluation, click on the Continue button.
- Fill in the form in the next step and press the Continue button.
- The download should start immediately. Do not close the page and if you lose the download link, just press the download button again and it will start downloading directly again so you don’t have to follow the above-mentioned steps again and again.
- The above-downloaded file is a stub installer. You will need to run this file to download the actual ISO file in the language of your choice. To download the ISO file, run the installer and select Download Media box.
- On the next screen, select the language of your choice, ISO or CAB (compressed media for .exe and .box installation files.) and the location to save the downloaded file.
Please let us know about your experience downloading and installing the newest version of SQL Server 2019 in the comments below.