5 Ways To Check Who’s Connected to Your Wi-Fi Network
Wifi security has always been a concern for the users, be it Wifi security protocols or the shared Wifi keys being compromised and misused. Setting up a Wifi connection with proper security is one thing and monitoring your network for intruders and illegal connections is another.
In this article, we will discuss about how to check Wi-Fi status on regular basis and even be alerted if a new device has connected to the network. This monitoring will give you peace of mind that no unwanted device is connected to your network.
Check Wi-Fi Status
Let’s see, which tools are on the list to help you.
Wi-Fi Inspector as the name suggests that it can make you able to view and analyze your network’s information and status easily. This tool is a freeware and available for Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
It gives you real-time monitoring of your network connection and ensures you that you are using the best and fastest performance of your wireless network. It supports the latest Wi-Fi standards that are 802.11ac Wave 1 and Wave 2 technology.
Its main features are
- It searches for Wi-Fi networks automatically and quickly.
- Wi-Fi Inspector troubleshoots Wi-Fi connectivity issues with its built-in troubleshooter and easy to use troubleshooting tools
- Verify Wi-Fi coverage (site survey)
- You may control a laptop’s Wi-Fi connection with it.
- Helps in locating Wi-Fi devices
- Detects unauthorized APs and verify AP settings
- Ensures high performance of your network
Before installing Wifi Inspector, you should make sure that you are fulfilling the following requirements:
- You should be running Windows 7 and later or Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan).
- Wi-Fi adapter is required, which can be either built-in or external
- Adobe Flash Player for running Speed Test is needed.
- For Windows, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later is required.
Wireless Network Watcher
Wireless Network Watcher monitors the connected devices to the wireless router. If some unknown has connected to your network, you can easily check it via this tool and then can take any step according to your need. Firstly, it scans the network connection and then displays the list of all connected devices on that network.
It also gives you some other information like IP address, MAC address, the company that manufactured the network card, and optionally the computer name.
Wi-Fi Doctor-Detect and Boost
Wi-Fi Doctor-Detect and Boost is the small utility that detects the connected devices on your wireless network. It protects all the devices which are connected to your network by scanning them time to time. It shows device brand and MAC in details,
If any useless app is opened in the background, this tool will close those apps to increase the speed of network for a particular task which is running in the foreground. This app is basically designed for smartphones and tablets which are running on Android OS. The main features of the Wi-Fi Doctor-Detect and Boost tool are
Its main features are
- Wi-Fi Security Check: It checks whether the Wi-Fi you’re connected to is safe.
- Increase Network Speed: It increases the speed of network by detecting and stopping apps that are secretly using Wi-Fi or cellular data in the background.
- Wi-Fi Spy Detect: Scan all devices connected to your Wi-Fi hotspot, including Android Phones, iPhones/iPads, PCs.
- Super Boost: Super Boost feature stops the apps from re-launching which automatically re-launch themselves in the background without authorization.
SoftPerfect Wi-Fi Guard
The SoftPerfect Wi-Fi Guard is a small and handy tool for everyone running a small wireless network and that keeps your network safe and secure. Generally, modern Wi-Fi networks and routers are well protected, but despite all these securities, there are chances for security leaks and issues. This includes vulnerabilities in encryption and brute force attacks. As a result, someone can gain unauthorized access to your Internet connection and LAN and hack your network and can use it for any purpose.
To avoid all these issues, the SofPerfect Wi-Fi Guard will help you and secure your wireless network connection.
It is supported on multi-platform and this is the good thing about the tool.
Its main features are
- pings computers and other network devices and displays those alive.
- Detects firewalled computers that do not respond to ping.
- Scans your network at a specified interval.
- If an unknown device is found, it immediately alerts you.
Who’s On My Wi-Fi
Who’s on My Wi-Fi is a tool to tell you who is connected to your Wi-Fi network then. You can take action if any, unknown is also using your wireless connection.
It is a freeware and can run on Windows Vista and later version of Windows.
Which tool do you use to check the Wifi status and monitor your network for security issues? My personal favorite is Wireless Network Watcher because it is a portable app. I can keep it in my network drive to access it from any PC over the network.
Must Read Articles:
- 5 Ways To Automatically Turn Off WiFi When Ethernet LAN Cable Is Connected
- How to Find Wifi Password in Windows 10 Using Command Line
- 2 Ways To Find All Saved Wifi Passwords In Windows 10
- WEP, WPA, And WPA2 Protocols Comparison (Technical Differences)
- Check VPN Connection Status From Command Line In Windows