If you have installed Office 2019 or Office 365, you would have noticed that OneNote is missing from the installation. Microsoft is ditching OneNote 2016 in favor of the OneNote app bundled with Windows 10.
OneNote is an all in one note-taking, information gathering and multi-user collaboration tool from Microsoft. It supports notes, drawings, handwriting, screen clipping, audio, and video, etc.
OneNote was a part of Office 2016 Suite but was not included in Office 2019 or Office 365. It comes as a bundled app in Windows 10 by default.
Yes, OneNote 2016 is being discontinued and its support will only be available till October 2020. Microsoft may offer extended support after that but we should make sure that we migrate all our notebooks and notes to the new OneNote app.
In this article, we will discuss the differences between OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows 10 app and then we’ll give the currently working direct download links to all the OneNote versions for all the platforms including Windows 10, earlier versions of Windows, Mac, Android, iPad, and iPhone.
Difference between OneNote 2016 and OneNote App
OneNote 2016 was released as a Desktop app that came with Microsoft Office 2016 Suite. OneNote for Windows 10 comes as a pre-installed app in Windows 10.
Microsoft is stilly porting all the features of OneNote 2016 to the new OneNote app. From March 2020, the new OneNote app will be bundled with Office 2019 and Office 365. So it’ll still come as OneNote for Desktop app.
Here are the features of each app:
- View all notes sorted by when you last opened them
- Preview your notes without having to open the page
- Transform your drawings into shapes automatically
- See who’s working with you on a shared notebook
- Share a single page instead of the entire notebook
- Write out an equation and solve it using Ink Math Assistant
- Use pencil ink to draw or sketch
- Windows 10 integration includes:
- Take notes with Surface Pen even when the device is locked
- Tell Cortana to take notes with your voice
- Quickly jump to a new page by selecting the Note button in Action Center
- Write on a webpage in Microsoft Edge and save your annotations to OneNote
- Share notes with any app with the Share button
- Use the device’s camera to capture documents, whiteboards, receipts and more directly into OneNote
These are the features unique to OneNote 2016. Microsoft is slowly adding all these features to the OneNote app.
- Capture a screen clipping and add it to your notes
- Print anything on your computer directly to OneNote
- Office Suite integration includes:
- Insert meeting details from Outlook into your notes
- Insert an embedded Excel spreadsheet into your notes
- Create tasks in OneNote and have them appear in Outlook
- Save or backup your notes on a local hard drive instead of the cloud
This link will open the Windows Store. This only works on Windows 10.
The above-mentioned links are web installers. You will need to run the installer to download and install the latest update of OneNote 2016. OneNote 2016 works for all versions of Windows including Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7.
Installing OneNote 2016
Once you have downloaded the setup file, run the installer and wait for the download to complete.
Once installed, you can search for OneNote from the Start Menu and you will find two entries, OneNote app and OneNote 2016.
You will need to sign in with your Microsoft ID to start OneNote 2016.
Uninstall OneNote 2016
Both these apps can be used side by side. But if you want to completely remove one app, you can do it from Apps and features.
- Open Apps and features (Windows key + X + F)
- Search for OneNote
- Select the app you want to uninstall and press the Uninstall button.
Migrating Notes from OneNote 2016 to OneNote App
Since Microsoft plans to continue with the OneNote app, it is advised to migrate all your notes from OneNote 2016 to the OneNote app. Here are the steps involved:
- Open OneNote 2016
- Go to File menu –> Options –> Save & Backup
- Click on the Back Up All Notebooks Now button under Backup.
- All data will be backed up in the folder mentioned in the Save section.
You can take this backup on any PC and place it under your Documents folder. The new OneNote app will automatically detect the new notebooks.
- Open OneNote app
- Click on the currently active notebook name
- From the drop-down, select More Notebooks…
- Here you will be able to see a list of all your Notebooks.
Please note that the notebooks you copied from the backup will have (On this computer) label in front of them. Once opened, you will need to select a Microsoft ID where these will be uploaded. Unfortunately, the OneNote app does not work with local notebooks.
Which tool do you use for note-taking? OneNote is my favorite app for taking notes and organizing my data. Now I’m moving to the new OneNote app which comes pre-installed with Windows 10. Will you still use OneNote 2016 or move to the new app?
- Google Releases Chrome 81 With 32 Security Fixes and Mixed Content Upgrades - April 8, 2020
- Download and Install KB4554364 Windows 10 Cumulative Update to Fix Internet Connectivity Issues - March 31, 2020
- Download and Install KB4541335 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For March 2020 [Version 1909, 1903] - March 25, 2020