Microsoft has released Skype 8.28 recently. You may either upgrade from Skype app itself or download Skype 8.28 offline installer from the links given in this article. There are quite a few changes to the settings view in this update.
While Microsoft is regularly releasing new versions of Skype, the last deadline of discontinuation of Skype 7.4 classic has also been extended from September 1st to some time more. The exact expiration date has not been specified.
Skype 8.28 new features and advantages
New Settings experience
Microsoft has revamped the Settings window completely. Now it is easier to navigate and find different settings. The settings have been divided into different categories. You can click on the category from the left hand menu to open the list of settings related to that category in the right hand pane.
Some features of Skype include the following:
- Free international calls: You can make free Skype to Skype calls and also Skype to international Phone calls at a very low price.
- You can call people in other countries with Skype (Paid).
- You can sms anywhere internationally using Skype (Paid).
- You can make video calls using Skype.
- You can also receive calls using Skype. Skype number cost is usually very low depending upon the number and country you select. Get Skype number from here.
- You can transfer files using Skype. Skype file transfer size limit is 300 MB. You can send as many files as you want but the file size should not exceed 300 MB.
Checking version and updating Skype
Checking version in Skype 8.xx is different from the earlier release. Follow the steps below to check Skype version installed on your computer.
- Open Skype and sign-in with your Microsoft account
- Click on the display picture at the top left corner of Skype window
- Scroll down and select Help & Feedback (Previously it was the About section)
Opening the About dialog will automatically trigger Skype to check for latest version. It will automatically start downloading if a new version is available. Alternatively, you can follow our blog to get the latest information when new versions of Skype are released.
Normally when a new version of Skype is launched, it starts rolling out gradually to the users who have already installed Skype. This roll out is completed in about two to three weeks. If you want early access to the latest Skype software, you may download Skype from below given direct download links.
Download Skype 18.104.22.168 for Windows Desktop [59.22 MB]
Download Skype for Linux [.DEB] (Debian)
Download Skype for Linux [.RPM] (RPM based distributions)
Troubleshooting Skype 8.28 installation issues
If you are using the latest version of Windows 10 and download Skype 8.28 from the above given links, it may give you the above mentioned error when you try to install it:
In this case, we have written an article which will fix this error. Just go through the following article for troubleshooting Skype 8.28 installation issues.
If you encounter any other issues related to Skype, please let us know through comments below.
Must Read Articles:
- Download Skype 8.25 Offline Installer For All Operating Systems
- Download Skype 8.24 Offline Installer For All Operating Systems
- Download Skype 8.22 Offline Installer For All Operating Systems
- Download Skype 8.29 Offline Installer For All Operating Systems
- Download Skype 8.17 Offline Installer For All Operating Systems