Intel has released a new driver for their GPUs: version 188.8.131.5255. Thus, the driver update includes support for HEVC DirectX 12 and H264 (a compression codec) for Windows 11 on specific processors. Not only that, but installing this updated driver will also fix some of the issues users had previously reported. However, there are still some known issues that hopefully will be resolved in future updates.
This driver can be installed on the following operating systems:
You can check your Windows version by typing in winver in Run.
You must keep your drivers up to date so that maximum bugs are fixed and new features can be supported. Let us discuss in detail what this update will bring and how you can install it on your PC.
Intel GPU driver update 184.108.40.20655 Changelog
Here is a list of improvements and fixes included with this driver:
- H264 and HEVC DX12 video encode support has been added to Microsoft Windows 11 for 10th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Plus graphics and higher.
- Minor graphic anomalies have been fixed in:
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Hitman 2
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood
- Minor graphic anomalies have been fixed in the following games for 11th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics:
- Monster Jam Steel Titans 2
- Ark Survival Evolved (when Intel Sharpening Filter is enabled)
- The problem with the black screen seen in Rage 2 of the 11th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics has been addressed.
- The issue of intermittent crash or hang in the following games on Intel Iris Xe Discrete graphics has been fixed:
- Ark: Survival Evolved
- Star Wars: Squadrons
- Minor graphic anomalies have been fixed in the following games on Intel Iris Xe Discrete graphics:
- Euro Truck Simulator 2
- Marvel’s Avengers
- Metro Exodus
Here is a list of known issues with the new update that you should check out before you consider installing it:
- Intermittent crash or hang may be seen in the following games:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Forza Horizon 4
- Sims 4.
- Minor graphic anomalies may be observed in the following games:
- Dead by Daylight
- Death Stranding
- Forza Horizon 4
- Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Resident Evil Village
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
- The following games may crash or hang after installing this update on Intel Iris Xe graphics on 11th Generation Intel Core Processors:
- Detroit: Become Human
- FIFA 21
- Moonlight Blade
- NBA 2K21
- Necromunda: Hired gun
- Red Dead Redemption
- Dark Pictures: Men of Medan
- Vendetta Online.
- A black screen may be seen in Arma 3 on 11 Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics.
- Minor graphic anomalies may be seen in the following games/programs on 11th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics:
- Adobe Premiere Pro 2020
- Call of the Sea
- Crisis Remastered
- Dark Souls 3
- Gears of War Ultimate Edition
- Gears 5
- Just Cause 4
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.
- Intermittent crash or hang may be seen in the following games with Intel Iris Xe Discrete graphics:
- Conan Exiles
- Doom Eternal
- Forza Motorsport 6
- Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
- Crash or hang may be seen in Batman: Arkham City and Outriders with Intel Iris Xe Discrete graphics.
- Minor graphic anomalies may be observed in the following games with Intel Iris Xe Discrete graphics:
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Code Vein
- GRID 2019
- Rocket League (with CMAA Enabled)
- The display may be blanked out with 4K@60hz resolution connected when connected via dock on 11th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics.
- Thunderbolt display may not turn on when HDR is enabled for the built-in display on 11th Generation Intel Core Processors with Intel Iris Xe graphics.
Download Intel graphics driver update for October 2021
The update can be downloaded and installed through Intel’s Support Assistant or as a standalone driver.
Use the links below to download the driver:
To automatically detect which drivers your device may require, use the guide below:
- Download Intel’s Support Assistant.
- Double-click on the downloaded package to install the Support Assistant. On the first screen, agree to the terms and conditions and click Install.
- On the next screen, choose whether to Accept or Decline an Invitation to Intel’s Computing Environment Program. This will not affect the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, click on Launch.
- The Support Assistant will now take you to a web browser where you can see your computer’s details, as well as any recommended drivers to be installed. Click Download/Install beside the recommended driver.
If, for some reason, you are unable to update to the new driver version, refer to this guide by Intel for troubleshooting tips.
It is recommended that you update all of your system drivers frequently, not just GPU drivers. Typically, these consist of fixes and other minor improvements that you would not normally observe when playing a game or performing heavy rendering tasks.