Some users need to use both wireless and wired network types because of their work nature. As Ethernet provides faster network speeds as compared to the wireless connections. If you need to use the internet with high speed due to heavy software downloading or for faster connectivity, then you will need to use Ethernet (a wired connection). By default Windows sets automatic priority for each connected network adapter.
If you want to set adapter priority according to your own needs, this article is exactly for you. It will explain how to automatically set higher priority to Ethernet when both WiFi and Ethernet are connected. Same settings can be applied if you want WiFi priority to be set higher than Ethernet.
Configure Network Adapter Settings
Following are some steps that will configure your settings to automatically disable your Wifi when you are using Ethernet LAN Cable.
- Right click on your connected Wifi from System Tray Icon and go to “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
- A window will open that shows your networks. Click on your connected Wifi connection. A Wifi status window will open. Go to its Properties to view them.
- Under the Network tab, click on Configure button.
- A new pop-up window will open that shows your Wireless Adapter Properties. Go to its Advanced tab. And enable the option of “Disable Upon Wired Connect”.
This option isn’t available for some users because the Network Adapter of their wireless connection does not support this feature or support. If you do not have this option, you may go for another solution.
WLAN Manager is a scheduled task which will run and automatically disable your Wireless connection if you are connected to a LAN Cable network to provide you fastest connectivity. And if you disconnect from the LAN Cable, WLAN Manager will re-enable your Wireless connection and connects you with it.
WLAN Manager is basically a file which is having the Powershell commands in it. Its latest release adds the support for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Set Network Adapters Priority
You can set the priority of your networks, high and low according to your requirement and need.
- To set priority to go to the “network and sharing center” by right clicking the tray icon of your connected network.
- Click “change adapter settings” in the left pane of the window.
- Press ALT key, a menu bar will open. Go to “Advanced”, then “Advanced Settings”.
- A new window of “Advanced Settings” will open. Move arrows to set the priority of your current networks.
WirelessAutoSwitch is a third party tool that will automatically disable your wireless connection if you are connected to LAN cable network and re-enable wireless connection, if your wired connection is disabled.
It will look for Wireless network and see whether it is enabled or not. And then go to see if any Wired connection is enabled, then WirelessAutoSwitch will disable the Wireless connection. And if the Wired connection gets disabled, the tool will automatically enable the Wireless connection.
It’s trial period is for 30 days. If you like WirelessAutoSwitch tool, you can buy its license.
BridgeChecker is a tool that will help you to configure settings for your network Adapters. If you are using Ethernet LAN cable or WIFI, it will automatically switch you between any one of them by disabling the other network. This tool isn’t a free to use, you can use it for 30 days as a trial period. If you find BridgeChecker useful, go for its license and buy it.
- The interface of BridgeChecker is simple and easy to use.
- It enables one network at a time.
- It disables the Wireless connection if you are connected to a Wired connection.
- It disables the Wired connection if you are connected to Wireless connection.
- You need administrative privileges to use BridgeChecker.
- It supports both 32bit and 64bit Operating System.
- It is supported on Windows and Mac.
Get rid of manually disabling your Wireless connection when you are using a LAN cable connection. Go for any of above method, these solutions will surely entertain you. Thank you
- Download Avira 2019 Free Antivirus + Internet Security + Total Security - July 16, 2019
- Download QuickBooks Desktop Offline Installers [All Versions] - July 16, 2019
- Download Avast 2019 Free Antivirus + Internet Security + Premier) - July 16, 2019