Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2, the latest version of Cisco’s popular network simulator, is available for download and installation. For your ease, we will provide direct download links to Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2 offline installer in this article.
Cisco Packet Tracer is useful especially if you are doing certifications like CCNA or CCNP. You can do different types of labs testing inside the simulator without any hardware setup. There are a number of router versions which can be simulated inside Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2.
Some of the supported routers include the following:
4321, 1941, 2901, 2911, 819IOX, 819HGW, 829, 1240, 1841, 2811.
What’s new in Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2
The new features of CPT 7.2 include the following:
- PPPOE support
- Answer tree filter
- Real TCP server
- Real Websocket
- Real-time activity grading
- Additional IOS security features
- Protocol improvements (see below)
- ASA 5506 firewall
- Meraki server
- Meraki security appliance
- Home router
Here are some of the bugs in Cisco Packet Tracer 7.1.1 have been fixed in 7.2.
- Packet Tracer crash when booting C1841 ISR router from ROMMON mode (boot flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin)
- Packet Tracer crash when configuring DHCP on WLC-PT wireless controller
- Unable to use ip http server command on Cisco ISR 1941 router
- LLDP protocol error with LLDP neighbors not showing
- Port-channel interfaces become unassociated from the channel-groups on a router device when a saved file is reloaded after Packet Tracer restart
- After entering the command “show spanning-tree details” on a switch with a spanning-tree instance, program crashes
- Program crashes when placing fiber adaptor GLC-LH-SMD in ISR 2811 router using mixed media adaptor
Installing and using Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2
Installation of CPT 7.2 is almost the same as the earlier versions. Let’s go step by step to install and run the simulator:
- Run PacketTracer72_64bit_setup.exe from the downloaded zip file. (Since I’m using 64-bit Windows 10, I have selected the 64-bit installer. You should select the filename according to the platform).
- Accept the license agreement.
- Select destination folder.
- Select Start Menu item name.
- Select shortcut options.
- Press the Install button. It may take a couple of minutes to install the software.
- If you have opened browsers, Cisco Packet Tracer setup will give you a warning either to close all browsers or restart the computer.
- To login, click on Guest login. This will open a web page in your browser. Ignore the web page and focus back on Packet Tracer window.
- Click on Confirm Guest button to start using Packet Tracer.
- You may also need to allow Packet Tracer executable through Windows Firewall to work properly.
The only caveat of guest login is that it will let you wait for a few seconds before you can press the Confirm Guest button and start using Packet Tracer simulations.
- Microsoft Windows (7 / 8.1 / 10) or Linux Ubuntu (14.04 64-bits)
- At least Pentium 4 (2.5 GHz)
- A minimum of 2GB RAM (4GB recommended)
- 700 MB of storage space
- A minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
UPDATE: Cisco has released the new version of this software and made this version unavailable because of some bugs. It is recommended that you download the latest version from the link below:
If you have 32-bit Linux installation, you may want to download Cisco Packet Tracer 7.0 instead of 7.2.
Must Read Articles:
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer 7.1.1 Free (Direct Download Links)
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer 6.2 Free (Direct Download Link)
- Download Cisco Packer Tracer 6.3 Free (Direct Download Link)
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer 7.1 Free (Direct Download Links)
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer Latest Version (7.2.1)