Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2.1 by Cisco Systems is available for download and installation. If you have already installed the software, you may need to download and install the new version in order to update it. The latest version is not a major update but a bug fix update fixing only one bug in the earlier version. The software is available for a majority of the Operating Systems including Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
The benefit of using the Cisco Packet Tracer is that you can install any version of the Cisco IOS on the router network you have created.
- 1 What is the packet tracer?
- 2 The benefits of using Cisco Packet Tracer
- 3 What’s new in Packet Tracer 7.2.1?
- 4 Getting started with Cisco Packet Tracer
- 5 Cisco Packet Tracer Download Latest Version
- 6 How to use Packet Tracer?
Tip: You may also want to check out the latest Cisco AnyConnect VPN client if you’re interested in the VPN functionality.
What is the packet tracer?
Cisco Packet Tracer is a powerful network simulation software from Cisco Network Academy which can simulate/create a network without having a physical network. It has a drag and drop interface that is easy to use yet highly effective while configuring complex networks. Cisco Packet Tracer can also run as a hybrid network combining physical networks and the simulated networks. All this is achieved by using a drag and drop visual interface. This capability makes the software unique and highly useful across institutions and individuals worldwide who want to learn and practice their networking skills before touching the production networks.
The benefits of using Cisco Packet Tracer
A few benefits of using Cisco Packet Tracer simulator tool include the following:
- Free for everyone, institutions, and individuals around the world. Earlier, it was only free for Cisco Network Academy students.
- Practice complete Cisco Packet Tracer labs from the Networking Academy in their skills and career-building program for learning (CCENT, CCN, CCNP Security and CCNP Switch exams, in fact, any Cisco certification).
- Equally useful program for learning for institutions and individuals.
- Users can run simulations on all devices compatible with Cisco Packet Tracer including Windows, Linux and Android mobile device (Cisco Packet Tracer Mobile)
- You can run and practice Cisco IOS Operating System without having a physical router and network.
- Last but not least, it can also run on a mobile device!
Let’s first discuss what’s new in Packet Tracer 7.2.1 and then move on to the Cisco Packet Tracer free download section. Although Cisco Packet Tracer is free to download and use, Cisco Networking Academy makes it compulsory to have a Cisco account in order to download and even use the software.
What’s new in Packet Tracer 7.2.1?
Just like Cisco Packet Tracer 7.1.1, the version 7.2.1 is a maintenance release and does not contain any major updates. The complete build no. of this release is 7.2.1.0218. Only one major bug was fixed in this release. The bug in previous versions of Packet Tracer was that if the user had logged into Packet Tracer software, the user was required to log in again after every system restart.
Here a video introducing Packet Tracer 7.2.1:
Apart from this, all the features of version 7.2 remain the same. Cisco has removed Packet Tracer 7.2 from their website and it is not available for download anymore. So you should download this latest version for future installations. Here were the major features of version 7.2 major release:
Packet Tracer 7.2 workspace improvements:
- New themes
- Align workspace objects
- Ability to deploy the device to a specific rack
- Accessibility update
- Ability to name a rack
Protocol and software improvements :
- PPPoE support
- 802.1x (useful for CCNP certification exam)
- Answer tree filter
- Real TCP server
- Real WebSocket
- Real-time activity grading
- Additional IOS security features
- Protocol improvements
New devices in Packet Tracer 7.2
- ASA 5506-X firewall (FirePOWER features not supported)
- Meraki security appliance
- Meraki server (for Meraki security appliance centralized configuration, emulating Cisco Meraki dashboard)
- Home router with advanced wireless capabilities (2.4G, 5G, beamforming, wireless bridge, …)
Getting started with Cisco Packet Tracer
The installation process of this version of Cisco Packet Tracer is quite simple and straight forward. Let’s go through the process visually:
Download Packet Tracer 7.2.1 from the below-given links and run the installer. After installation, if you have a browser open, you will be asked to close the browser with the following message:
For Packet Tracer Skill-Based Assessment (PTSBA) to use this version of Packet Tracer, please close all web browsers or restart your computer.
After that, you will be shown another notice that you are running Packet Tracer for the first time so your files will be saved in the default folder.
And then you will get a login screen. You can either log in with your Cisco Network Academy log in ID and password or run the software as a guest. For running the software as a guest, press the “Guest Login” button at the bottom right side of the window. One caveat of guest login is that you will have to wait for a few seconds and then click on “Confirm Guest” button to start using the software.
And then you can start using the software as per your choice.
Cisco Packet Tracer Download Latest Version
Cisco Packet Tracer is free to download but you need to register for Netacad Networking Academy which is also free. Registering is helpful because you will also need to sign in with the same ID when you run the simulation tool. Let’s walk through the registration and download process here.
- Go to this link and hover your mouse on Sign up today button. Click on English drop-down item from the button.
- Enter your details on the next step and click the Create Account button.
- Once the account has been created, you will need to activate it using the link sent to your provided email.
- Once confirmed, open this link which lists the download links to Packet Tracer active versions. Here’s the list of downloads available:
Windows Desktop Version 7.2.1 English (32-bit and 64-bit)
Linux Desktop Version 7.2.1 English (64-bit)
macOS Desktop Version 7.2.1 English
You can download Packet Tracer for Android and iOS directly using the links below (without signing in)
How to use Packet Tracer?
There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube and the Internet which can guide you through the network learning process using Cisco Packet Tracer. Here are some good tutorials for learning the basics.