How To Change The Display Language In Windows 10
Microsoft used to offer separate language packs for each supported language in earlier Windows versions e.g., Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows XP. But from Windows 10, the language packs can be installed directly from Windows Settings free of cost.
You can add multiple languages to Windows 10 and change the display language on the fly using the language toolbar. This is useful for systems which are used by multiple users who prefer different languages.
Please note that not all language packs support all display items. Some languages may only support a small set of text to be translated while the other text remains in the default language. If you want to use Windows 10 in a specific language fully, you should download and install Windows 10 in that specific language. The following features are available in the Windows 10 language packs:
- Display language
- Text to speech
- Speech recognition
Install a new language using Windows 10 Settings
Installing a language pack is very simple using Windows Settings. Just follow the steps below:
- Go to Windows Settings (Windows key + i)
- Select Time & Language –> Language
- There are two options here.
Windows Display language
The first option is for installing a local experience pack and it will take you to Microsoft Store to download and install the language of your choice.
The second option is actually the setting for your language preferences. If you click on Add a preferred language, it will also let you add the language pack of your choice.
For me, adding a preferred language is easier as it not only installs the language but also lets me configure different language settings. So we will use the second option.
- Click on + icon beside Add a preferred language
- Choose a language to install and click Next.
- On the next screen, you can choose different language features you want to add. You can check the Install language pack to install all features. Checking the checkbox “Set as my display language” will instantly set the display language after it is installed.
- Clicking the Install button will automatically download and install your desired language pack.
How to change the language on Windows 10
Now whenever you want to change Windows language, just go to Windows Settings –> Time & Language –> Language and choose your language from the dropdown menu. You will need to log off and log on again in order to change the language.
You can change the language to English or your primary language using the same way.
Change the keyboard input language in Windows 10
To change the keyboard input language in Windows 10 on the fly, you can use the language bar. Here are the steps to enable the language bar:
- Go to Windows Settings –> Time & Language –> Language
- Click on Choose an input method to always use as default
- This will open Advanced keyboard settings. Click on Language bar options
- Under Language bar, choose Docked in the taskbar. Once you click apply, you will see the language bar in your taskbar.
If you have any issues following the steps above, please let us know in the comments below.
Must Read Articles:
- Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1) (2850036) Direct Download Links
- Fix Mount Option Missing in Windows 10
- Download Media Feature Pack For Windows 10 N/KN All Versions
- 3 Ways To Change Screen Resolution In Windows 10
- Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Direct Download Links