- Firefox 117 includes security updates and other feature improvements.
- Lacks auto-language-translation like most other browsers.
- To upgrade your current Firefox version, go to Firefox settings >> Help >> About Firefox, and click “Restart” when the upgrade package is downloaded.
Like all other browsers, Mozilla Firefox updates are also released every 4 weeks. It is that time of the month again, and Mozilla has released 3 new updates which are as follows: Firefox version 117, Firefox 115.2 Extended Stable Release (ESR), and Firefox 102.15 ESR.
Firefox 117 comes with 13 security fixes, 7 of which are deemed of high importance, and some other improvements and fixes. Two of these vulnerabilities are directed toward Thunderbird.
That being said, we believe that Mozilla Firefox has discontinued support, or not included certain highly-anticipated features, more than it has included new ones. Regardless, since it includes security patches and mitigates vulnerabilities, we still recommend that you upgrade to this release to prevent your machine from cyberattacks.
This page covers
Mozilla Firefox 117 release summary
- Complete Release Build: 117.0, 115.2 ESR, 102.15 ESR
- Release Date: Monday, August 28th, 2023
- Compatibility: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Previous Build: Firefox 116.0.3
New in Firefox 117
Screen sharing support ends on Wayland
Wayland is a replacement windowing system for Linux distributions, like Fedora. Previously, Firefox supported the ability for screen-sharing on Wayland systems. However, with Firefox 117, Mozilla is removing this ability only from Wayland systems.
The screen-sharing feature never worked well on these systems and has always encountered issues. Therefore, Mozilla has decided to remove this feature once and for all.
No automatic language translation
Up until now, all beta releases of Firefox included the much-needed feature of auto-translation for websites that were in a different language than your default language. They used local resources for translation instead of cloud-based translation, thus protecting your privacy.
Although many other modern browsers already have this feature, Mozilla decided not to roll out this feature to the stable release just yet. There is currently no news when it will be made available, if at all.
Other features and improvements
Some other improvements and inclusions have also been made to Firefox 117:
- Enhancement to the financial card autofilling.
- macOS users can now control the tabability of controls and links from “about:preferences.”
- To avoid undesirable outcomes on sites that specify their own behavior when pressing Shift + Right-click, Firefox now has a
dom.event.contextmenu.shift_suppresses_eventpreference to prevent the context menu from appearing.
- New CSS compatibility tooltip within the Developer Tools Inspector.
- The improved CSS nesting is now enabled by default.
- Support for
RTCRtpScriptTransformis now included.
- CSS properties of
math-style / math-depth / font-size: mathare now supported.
The following 14 vulnerabilities have been addressed in Firefox version 117:
- CVE-2023-4573: Memory corruption in IPC CanvasTranslator
- CVE-2023-4574: Memory corruption in IPC ColorPickerShownCallback
- CVE-2023-4575: Memory corruption in IPC FilePickerShownCallback
- CVE-2023-4576: Integer Overflow in RecordedSourceSurfaceCreation
- CVE-2023-4577: Memory corruption in JIT UpdateRegExpStatics
- CVE-2023-4578: Error reporting methods in SpiderMonkey could have triggered an Out of Memory Exception
- CVE-2023-4579: Persisted search terms were formatted as URLs
- CVE-2023-4580: Push notifications saved to disk unencrypted
- CVE-2023-4581: XLL file extensions were downloadable without warnings
- CVE-2023-4582: Buffer Overflow in WebGL glGetProgramiv
- CVE-2023-4583: Browsing Context potentially not cleared when closing Private Window
- CVE-2023-4584: Memory safety bugs fixed in Firefox 117, Firefox ESR 102.15, Firefox ESR 115.2, Thunderbird 102.15, and Thunderbird 115.2
- CVE-2023-4585: Memory safety bugs fixed in Firefox 117, Firefox ESR 115.2, and Thunderbird 115.2
To learn more about each of the 3 Firefox releases, refer to the release notes:
Update to Firefox 117
If you already have Mozilla Firefox installed on your computer, then updating it would be easy. Follow the guide below to update your existing Firefox browser to version 117.0.
Launch Firefox and click on the 3 lines in the top-right corner, then click Help.
Click “About Firefox.”
You will now see a pop-up window that will automatically begin searching for an available update and install it.
Once installed, click “Restart to Update Firefox.”
Verify that the browser has been updated by returning to the About Firefox pop-up.
If you do not have Firefox already installed, you can download a fresh setup below.
Download Mozilla Firefox 117
The download links given below are for the English version of Mozilla Firefox version 117.
|Firefox 117||Windows||x64 .EXE|
If you want to download Firefox 117 in another language or platform, click on the link.
Download Mozilla Firefox 115.2 ESR
The download links given below are for the English version of Mozilla Firefox version 115.2 ESR.
|Firefox 115.2 ESR||Windows||x64 .EXE|
|Firefox 115.2 ESR||macOS||DMG|
|Firefox 115.2 ESR||Linux||TAR.BZ2|
If you want to download Firefox 115.2 ESR in another language or platform, click on the link.
Download Mozilla Firefox 102.15 ESR
The download links given below are for the English version of Mozilla Firefox version 102.15 ESR. These versions are supported for a longer duration than the standard versions.
|Firefox 102.15 ESR||Windows||x64 .EXE|
|Firefox 102.15 ESR||macOS||DMG|
|Firefox 102.15 ESR||Linux||TAR.BZ2|
If you want to download Firefox 102.15 ESR in another language or platform, click on the link.
Install Firefox 117, 115.2 ESR, 102.15 ESR
The following method is a guide for installing Mozilla Firefox on a Windows computer. Installing it on macOS and Linux devices would not be so different.
If you already have Firefox installed on your computer, then installing it again using a downloaded package would automatically upgrade the existing version.
Download the setup file from above and run it.
The installation wizard will now launch.
Select “Standard” installation and then click Next.
Leave the default location and then click “Install/Upgrade.”
The browser will now install.
When completed, click Finish.
Uninstall Mozilla Firefox
If you feel like removing Firefox from your PC, simply follow these steps:
Press the Windows Key + R shortcut to open the Run Command box.
Type in “appwiz.cpl” and then press Enter to open the Programs and Features applet.
Double-click “Mozilla Firefox” to uninstall it.
The uninstallation wizard will now open.
The wizard will now remove Firefox.
When removed, close the wizard by clicking Finish.
Firefox will now be removed from your computer.
Mozilla Firefox Changelog History
|Firefox Version||Release Date||Features|
|Firefox 117||28-Aug-23||Removed screen-share from Wayland systems, missing anticipated auto-translate|
|Firefox 116||1-Aug-23||Improved PIP with volume control and the ability to edit existing text annotations|
|Firefox 115||4-Jul-23||Last supported version for Windows 7, 8, macOS 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14. Ability to import payment methods from other Chromium browsers. Hardware video decoding ability on Linux.|
|Firefox 113||8-May-23||Improved PIP mode, secure password generator, optimized Windows GPU Sandbox, drag-and-drop files from Outlook, flexible overscroll enabled by default, AVIS animations are supported in AV1 image format files.|
|Firefox 112||11-Apr-23||Reveal password by right-clicking on the password field, Linux users can import browser data from Chromium snap packages, and restore closed tabs by pressing the CTRL + Shift + T shortcut.|
|Firefox 111||14-Mar-23||Windows notifications are now enabled by default, Firefox Relay users can create relay email masks from the Firefox credential manager.|
|Firefox 110||14-Feb-23||GPU Sandboxing, block third-party module injection, import data from Opera, Opera GX, and Vivaldi browsers.|
|Firefox 109||16-Jan-23||Support for Manifest V3 extensions, unified extensions button in the toolbar.|
|Firefox 108||13-Dec-22||Background tab efficiency mode integration for Windows 11, import maps, support to use Shift + Esc shortcut keys to open the Process Manager.|
|Firefox 107||15-Nov-22||Improved performance, Power profiling support on Linux and Mac devices.|
|Firefox 106||17-Oct-22||PDF Annotations, WebRTC improvements, and a welcome screen for initial setup.|
|Firefox 105||20-Sep-22||Performance improvements, retracted 2-finger swipe feature, option to print the current page only.|